New reels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
mrbiggfish
Frequent Board Poster

New reels

Post by mrbiggfish »

I was just wondering , I know we all love old reels. But what kind of new reel do you like to fish with? Spinning or bait casting and what brand?

Thanks,
Kevin
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: New reels

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I'm a spinning reel guy through and through. The newest reel in my arsenal, and part of my main go-to outfit, is an American Classic IV made in 1997. It's mounted on a custom (built by me) 6'-0" M X-Fast 6-12# St. Croix Legend Elite spinning rod with a Tennessee handle.

The American Classic IV is essentially the same as the ABU & Zebco Cardinal 4 only seventeen years newer, and with an aluminum spool. Parts are interchangeable. My secondary reel is a tan ABU Cardinal 4 and all my others are either green & cream Zebco or black ABU Garcia fulcrum break Cardinals, i.e. models 3, 4 & 6.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Just a few I like. For many reasons, don't get out to fish much. Could post many more. Many members would refer to these as junk! Expensive, junk! [timg]http ://images.orcaonline.org/u/953/DSCN3712.JPG[/timg]
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The question implies a notion that spinning reels and level winds are "new tech" versus fly reels. Well, spinning reels and level wind designs have been around for a century. I like modern fly reels. The differences between old and new tech are in the materials, precision of construction and features like drag systems. I even have a new in box circa 2014 Hardy Cascapedia. The only thing old about it is the model name and some styling cues. Oh and it was made in Korea on a high tech assembly line with more consistent precision than anything that can be made by hand. I would rather have an antique version but to fish with, these are my favourites.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Haven't fly fished since high school days. Got a few just in case!
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I like the Pflueger Presidents for spinning. I outfitted myself with the smallest and largest last year and haven't looked back. Even bought the spincast for my girlfriend. I also have an Abu Orra SX casting reel and a Quantum Escalade. Both are quite nice for the price but I prefer the Escalade as it feels a little better. It also has sentimental value, as I gave it to my stepdad the year before he passed so maybe that's what makes it seem better. The only new fly reel that I have is a Cortland 333, which does the job just fine as I'm still learning.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I really like the Shimano Stradics for spinning. Since a friend passed, I find myself with 5 of them, however, so I'm in the process of selling a couple. I have a quantum bait caster that's pretty bullet-proof, even with my casting abilities. The key for me there was to get over the testosterone poisoning and dummy it down a bit instead of trying to make casts 3x what I need to catch a lunker :D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

I have quite a few modern fishing reels that I use many times each year. I have purchased the highest priced Daiwa and Shimano reels by being patient and buying used on eBay, or in Cabela's bargain cave. I believe the Shimano Conquest 50 size reel is my favorite. It is a Japanese Domestic Market reel that is a very souped up version of the Calcutta reel sold in the US. This is a round bodied reel that is very small and fits easily in my small hands. It is built like a tank and they have run with minimal maintenance forever.

I have found that most of the high priced Japanese reels are only suitable for fishing on the lake out front. When fishing the Snake River Fudge (my dog guide) and I track much sand into my boat. This grit finds its way on to the level wind mechanisms and eventually works its way into the ball bearings at each end of the worm. These ball bearings are unnecessary, other than to make the reel smoother feeling. The grit eventually jams the bearings and the reel no longer function. I have had 2 Daiwa Steez (currently $500) and 3 Daiwa Pixy reel (JDM reel) break down in this fashion in the past several years. Repairs run around $30-40 per reel.

For the past two years I have fished those expensive reels on the lake (only) and have had no problems. For fishing the Snake River I have slowly replaced my modern magnesium super reels with Shimano Bantam 100 or Bantam 1000 models. These are reels I was fishing in the late 1970s and 1980s. These reels do not have the binding problem and can be cleaned and lubed easily, even with my old fat, arthritic fingers. They only have ball bearings on each end of the spool, which is all that is necessary to improve casting. I buy most of these reels on eBay and seldom pay over $25 for a quality fishing reel that keeps running.
If we concentrated on the really important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing tackle

Phil White
ORCA Honorary Life Member
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

After seeing the fish you catch, I would take your recommendations as The Gospel. Closest thing to the fishing Bible Available!!
mrbiggfish
Frequent Board Poster

Post by mrbiggfish »

Those are some nice setups, sorry I forgot about fly fishing. I was just wondering about this, I know that I had some older gear that I gave to my son. The last two years I have collected quite a bit of new and old gear. I love looking at the newer fishing setups almost as much as the older gear.
I like the 13 fishing rods and bait casting reels and Lews reels. The 13 fishing rods and reels are all really nice for the price and with my arthritis and carpal tunnel it seems very light and sensitive. I just bought a nice St. Croix AvidX rod and matched it with a Lews speed spool. I bought a few vintage True Temper rods and want to match it up with one of my old Pflueger reels to try out.
I always say go with what works for you.
Thanks
Kevin
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

I like the older Penn International reels for big game fish like Tuna and Wahoo. Just get them a little tricked out to improve the free spool and you're off to the races. Those reels are heavy but they are bullet proof.
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

fishhead wrote:I like the older Penn International reels for big game fish like Tuna and Wahoo. Just get them a little tricked out to improve the free spool and you're off to the races. Those reels are heavy but they are bullet proof.
Me too!
Though, I am intetested to see the new Internationals being released next month. I hear they may have a thrust bearing!
Jacob : salmonfisher03
Super Board Poster

Post by Jacob : salmonfisher03 »

I do also collect modern flyreels. And for me best is Billy Pate and Tibor reels.
These reels fits very good for the fishing I do.

My collection of Pate and Tibor reels, from the small one for trout fishing to the
large Bluefin reel.

Best
Jacob
Collecting fly reels from Otto Zwarg, Edward Vom Hofe and Bogdan.

Member of DGK (committee member) and ORCA
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Jacob You are a big buck collector!! How are you doing Brother? Jon
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

I use to fish the highest quality Shimano and Diawa spinning reels but have really scaled down all my tackle. I did love the Stella 6000 with a custom 10 6" 1 piece Altenkich rod but shoulders aren't what they were. I now fish a custom 2 piece 9' Lamiglass rod with lesser Diawa surf reels and braided Diawa Samurai 30lb. The outfit literally weighs a fraction of the old. My reels are limited to 8 bearings the most resulting in 1/2 weight of a Stella. The 5000 have the best capacity while the rod must not have more than 5 guides. I just can't throw a big plug 200* cast anymore. Fresh water no problem! 2 piece 6 1/2" Loomi/Rogue and Diawa 1600 with 6lb Samurai. The samurai lines a small fortune especially when under 10lb. but the finest braided line available.Better to have the ball in my court.
Tight Lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
mrbiggfish
Frequent Board Poster

Post by mrbiggfish »

I like my Lews bait casting reels. I have a couple of spinning reels that I am just getting use to because I never used one before. I just have always liked setting up a good bait caster and fish away.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Not "new" reels, but they were back when I was a kid and my Dad gave them to me for Christmas.

Over the years I've had other reels, but all have moved on.

These two suit my needs just fine.

The Pflueger is a 1492.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Expert advice from Reel Geezer can prove to be costly!! i'll pay more attention to what Fudge says. Woof Woof!!
mrbiggfish
Frequent Board Poster

Post by mrbiggfish »

Jonathan, i remember seeing the Calcutta in a fishing store onetime and always wanted one, nice reels.
Kevin
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

For years I fished with the Shimano Stradic 3000 and 4000 size reels for near shore fishing and a couple of larger Shimano Saragossa reels for offshore fishing.

Back in 2007 when I wrote the Fin-Nor book for Zebco (their parent company) they offered to throw a couple of reels my way. Since Zebco had also acquired Van Staal I asked for a couple of their smaller reels with bails. They truly are amazing reels and the drags and gears are sealed so when I fall overboard with them :oops: the salt water stays out of the guts ... on the reels that is :roll:. They are perfect for sailfish, tarpon, big permit and the big jacks that migrate through in the winter. I can't imagine a better reel for these fish.

About three years ago I traded a couple of vintage items to professional bass fisherman, vintage tackle collector and my good friend Bernie Schultz for a Shimano Stella 3000. If Meek were in business today and made spinning reels this is the reel they would make. The operation and the drag are as smooth as silk, it is one amazing reel and I love fishing with it. I took it to Alaska last year and it fished like a dream.

For fly fishing I like my old Abel reels and I keep an old Fin-Nor "Wedding Cake" #3 beater around and it stills sees some action from time to time.

I also purchased a couple of small Penn Battle reels. Penn has come back a long way in the past few years with their salt water spinning reels. The Battle and Conflict, are both great reels for very reasonable money, however, the verdict is still out on their longevity but regardless, you gotta love their big fat bail arms.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.