Garage sale find reported on our FB page.

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Garage sale find reported on our FB page.

Post by Paul M »

A fellow contacted the ORCA Facebook page saying that he "made an interesting find at a yard sale in New York a few weeks ago. It's an Arthur Kovalovsky large fishing reel. I believe it to be either a 14/0, most likely, or a 12/0 that I hope is less likely. The drag and line release is in the handle. Here are some pics":

I asked Ed to join us here to discuss his find. WOW

Paul M
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Garage sale find reported on our FB page.

Post by john elder »

Ha! I'll cut in on Ed's time and jump in! Would be a fun and valuable reel to Reno. It's not as nice as the micarta version, but is made basically in the same style. Nice score! will he part with it??
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Only Ed could come up with a reel like that at a garage sale. Ed is a friend of mine and a true fishing tackle picker. I never met anyone with more gear. This one was a special find. Not too many big game Kovalovsky's to be found at garage sales anymore. Fantastic score.

Just to put a face with the name, here is Ed at his table at a local tackle trade show.

mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Ed mcnamara
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Ed mcnamara »

Didn't give it a lot of thought as to what I'm going to do with it. But I will definitely sell it eventually. This is the first reel that I'm looking into the background of and I find myself doing more productive things on the internet than playing candy crush
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Welcome, Ed! Thanks for coming over from Facebook land. I guessed that the friend you referenced was Mike and I see that I'm right. That is a pretty spectacular field find, especially from a garage sale. Did you get a matching rod too?
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, welcome, Ed! When Paul indicated he called "Ed" in, you were not the Ed I thought he meant! :D At any rate, keep me posted! Owned or not, it would be fun to Reno that one.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Didn't give it a lot of thought as to what I'm going to do with it. But I will definitely sell it eventually. This is the first reel that I'm looking into the background of and I find myself doing more productive things on the internet than playing candy crush
Welcome Ed :!: :!: You have a great start here................
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

I'm glad there is at least one Ed out there that is still finding Kovalovsky reels at garage sales, although I have to admit, I wish it were this Ed.

Nice Job Ed, it looks like you found yourself a chrome over brass Kovalovsky Standard Model Type I with a phenolic plastic drag housing.

What is the diameter of your reel (the measurement across the side-plate) ? Does it have any markings on the underside of the foot? Can you take a picture of the underside of the foot if it does have markings? I can't read the straight line stamping near the Kovalovsky logo on the drag housing cover, can you let us know what it says?

Zane Grey owned such a reel and it is displayed on the cover of his book "An American Angler in Australia" and he also fished with it in his movie "White Death". It was thought that the reel he posed with on the book cover was a gold Type I because in hand colorized photos it was always colored gold, however, you can tell by the the shape of the rims and other features that it is a large chrome over brass reel. You can even see the phenolic black spacer in the photo.

I have seen this reel in several different sizes of the chrome over brass Type I including - 3/0, 6/0, 9/0, 10/0, 14/0, 16/0 and 18/0 size.

Please feel free to get in touch with me for more info.

Here are some photos of the different reels and a few of Zane with his reel.

Early 18/0 Type I Chrome over Brass -

Type I in the 9/0 size -

Type I in a 12/0 size -

Two 16/0 size reels, notice different drag stack configurations -

Zane Grey's personal Type I 16/0 reel - Zane with the reel in his camp in Australia - Zane with reel on cover of his book "American Angler in Australia" -

Last edited by reeltackle on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Ed mcnamara wrote: This is the first reel that I'm looking into the background of and I find myself doing more productive things on the internet than playing candy crush
Welcome Ed. Just a warning...that investigating, looking into the background thing is addictive, and it is fun! You will find the people here will turn out to be one of your best resources.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

Way to go Ed. Your the man. Finding reels like that at garage sales is enough to make you jump and shout with happiness.
Ed mcnamara
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Ed mcnamara »

Sorry, no rod. It was sitting on a table
Ed mcnamara
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Ed mcnamara »

Thanks
Ed mcnamara
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Ed mcnamara »

Ed Pritchard, the reel measures 6" in diameter. No markings on the reel foot. The straight line reads: capacity 500 yds no 39. Hope this helps
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Based on the diameter of the reel and the line capacity I think it would be safe to speculate that the reel is either a 10/0 or a 12/0, however ........ that being said, the line capacities for designated /0 sizes was not always consistent from reel maker to reel maker and in the case of Kovalovsky, his reel's /0 sizes seem to have changed in size to some degree over the years.

I have a late model Kovalovsky reel that is marked "12/0 - 600 yards of 39" with a 6 inch diameter. Based on this information alone, this would make your reel a 10/0 because it has less line capacity, however, over the years the dimensions and therefore the line capacities of Kovalovsky reels seem to have fluxed a bit in both diameter and spool width. Most of the earlier Kovalovsky reels I have seen seemed to have less line capacity for their designated /0 size. As the years went by, line capacity seems to have increased slightly for the designated /0 size.

Because your reel is a somewhat earlier reel I would say that it is a 12/0 size reel.

Again, nice reel Ed! Congratulations on a field find that today is harder than finding the proverbial needle in a haystack. Did you ask the guy if he had any more old fishing stuff?
Last edited by reeltackle on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Great post all around! I am mystified how the relatively tiny foot and skinny cross-pillars on these monster sized reel didn't buckle under the strain of a large fish.

Hopefully Ed McNamara will set aside $120 from his eventual proceeds to join ORCA as a 3 year member (to start with). We need lucky reel pickers to join our club and help revive the enthusiasm and excitement that comes with finding a great reel like this in the wild. I suspect Ed can sell that easily for more than he paid.

Paul M
Ed mcnamara
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Ed mcnamara »

Probably, Paul, probably
Ed mcnamara
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Ed mcnamara »

Thanks for the info, Ed
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

FYI - The ORCA library for members has a 60 page compendium of info on Kovalovsky reels, donated by ORCA member Andy Foster. For 10 cents a page to get it by e-mail, this is a deal and is one key benefit of membership.

Paul M
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Or Ed I can get you a copy of Rick Edminston & Phil Beghuls book on Kovalovsky reels. The handles an easy fix and some frown upon replacement parts but it is what it is. Value figure at least $3,000. At one point I wanted to complete a set of the tangerine colored type 1 reels but there was no way of recovering all including the 3-0 l gave away for under $1,000. Be patient have the handle repaired and enjoy it! Tight Lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

id like to pay for an receive that Kov info- who do i email/pay to get the 60 pages? thanks! daniel
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Dan,
Access to the ORCA Library is just one of the awesome benefits of ORCA membership. Consider joining, if you already haven't.
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Dan is a member, Mark! I suspect that Paul means the copy of the "Made in Hollywood" book by Beghul and Edmisten, which I'm sure Dan already has. Paul, if different, please call me out on this!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

John:
You are correct. The title is "Handmade in Hollywood", The Fishing Reels of Arthur Kovalovsky.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006