Johnson Reel Collectors

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
jc04008
Frequent Board Poster

Johnson Reel Collectors

Post by jc04008 »

Hi,

Anyone with information or interest in Johnson Reels is invited to join a new discussion group centered on these reels. We'll have a comprehensive website up soon, but until then, please show your interest at the board.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintagejohnsonreels/

thanks

Justin
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Justin: What I don't understand is if you want to discuss Johnson reels, why don't you do it here. We would all like to learn about them with you. Most reel collectors and ORCA members scan this site regularly, and I would think they would have a lot to contribute. However, if you are on that Yahoo site no one but a few dedicated Johnson friends will be there regularly. I believe I have some Johnson catalogs and information filed away, but I'm not going to go look up a Johnson message board to find you or other Johnson collectors. That's what ORCA is for.
jc04008
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jc04008 »

Geezer,

I'm not trying to create anything exclusive. I've searched the ORCA topics on Johnson reels, and there hasn't been much of a response to them, so I figured they may not be a large interest in the topic here. I put up the announcement for those, so far two, other members that are Johnson Collectors.

If I've made a mistake and a bunch of people speak up here with the same opinion, then I'll certainly entertain moving the discussion here. I'm sorry if I've stepped on any ORCA toes, it was not intended.

Sincerely,

Justin
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Reel collectors don't have toes!

Post by Brian F. »

Justin,

No toes stepped on here but, now, if you were aiming for the thumbs... :wink:

I don't think anyone would have a problem with you setting up a separate site and you of course are free to do what ever you wish. ORCA isn't the only website on old reels or antique tackle. What you might consider, however, is that there are a lot more people passing through and looking at this message board than those that will find your board, at least initially. I've seen many referrals to Reel Talk when people have questions about old reels on all kinds of other message boards. Seems like this site is very well known.

ORCA members like to learn about all kinds of reels, especially more about the less popular reel companys (if you are not a member, you'd see that reflected in the printed Reel News) - hence the suggestion that you have discussions here.

Nothing against Johnson reels but maybe the lack of response you got is just a reflection of the current interest in Johnson reels. ORCA has Special Interest Groups (SIGs) for members with interests in particular companys or types of reels. I don't know if you're a member already but maybe you could join and start a Johnson reel SIG. More people may take an interest if you get the information out there or at least let others know about your interest.
jc04008
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jc04008 »

Brian,

I appreciate the comments. I certainly didn't realize that ORCA had special interest groups. I will look into that for sure.

Thanks you guys.

Justin
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

Johnson REELS!!

Post by SWIM JIG »

:) 8) :wink: :!: :?: :idea: cool-thumb USA Juston, I am not certain how many colectors there are , however the Johnsons ar a well liked and used reel both in the States and Canada, I have a friend and reel repair person that sends me his overflow of Johnson reels to rebuild, Its Gordon Salmon of TIMMINS Onterial, also if you go to our parts is parts listing one of our Members has most parts for sale or will sell the compleat inventory! Johnsons are again being made, they come in several colors and sizes and are a rather easy and (Durable) reel if taken care of, On Lake ERIE they are used for pan fish to ice fishing in the winter, They are NOT TOO PICKY about line size, will take some abuse and still reel in fish! All they require is a decent clean and lube, their drag is simple and positive to work, and they can be used on bait casters or the large round ones work well on very long rods! Now before Phill and Brian run me offf I will close up and work on some reels! Your Ohio Conection on Lake ERIE Col. M. lorens aka SWIM JIG
huckster37
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Reel collectors don't have toes!

Post by huckster37 »

I've searched the site and I cannot find the SIG area you speak of. Could someone direct me to it? I would like to see if there is any interest here in Johnson reels at this time.
Brian F. wrote:Justin,

No toes stepped on here but, now, if you were aiming for the thumbs... :wink:

I don't think anyone would have a problem with you setting up a separate site and you of course are free to do what ever you wish. ORCA isn't the only website on old reels or antique tackle. What you might consider, however, is that there are a lot more people passing through and looking at this message board than those that will find your board, at least initially. I've seen many referrals to Reel Talk when people have questions about old reels on all kinds of other message boards. Seems like this site is very well known.

ORCA members like to learn about all kinds of reels, especially more about the less popular reel companys (if you are not a member, you'd see that reflected in the printed Reel News) - hence the suggestion that you have discussions here.

Nothing against Johnson reels but maybe the lack of response you got is just a reflection of the current interest in Johnson reels. ORCA has Special Interest Groups (SIGs) for members with interests in particular companys or types of reels. I don't know if you're a member already but maybe you could join and start a Johnson reel SIG. More people may take an interest if you get the information out there or at least let others know about your interest.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Johnson Reel Collectors

Post by wrong99 »

Huckster,
The post you replied to is over 12 years-old. Things have changed a lot. Use the "search" feature above for Johnson Reels. There has always been interest in those reels to some degree.
Mark
huckster37
Big ORCA Fan

Post by huckster37 »

I knew it was old that's why I said at this time. I've already used the search feature for Johnson reels, just checking to see if there was anything I missed. I take it that the ORCA Special Interest Groups feature is a thing of the past.
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

poejfa'
'
Last edited by Harry Verdurchi on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

This is my Site and it has 115 members that have contributed a huge amount of knowledge, pictures, schematics etc. If you want to learn about Johnson reels, step right in. The site has a Chat box for interactive discussion.
Al Stover