Thos. E. Wilson & Co

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Aboiani
Big ORCA Fan

Thos. E. Wilson & Co

Post by Aboiani »

I have a Thos. E. Wilson & Co H644 reel with an ivory handle. I would like to know what it is worth. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Thos. E. Wilson & Co

Post by john elder »

Do you have pics you can post? Condition is an important factor in giving a guess at value. This board hosts pics and directions are at the top of the page and elsewhere.

If I recall correctly, Wilson sold reels from several makers to pic is important to ID.
john
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

If it has a number starting with an "H" the chances are it is a Winchester.
Aboiani
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Aboiani »

Thank you for the response. I will post pics shortly.
Aboiani
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Aboiani »

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

From what little I can see of the handle in the first photo, I believe Don is correct in identifying it as a 1920's Winchester-made trade reel for Thos. E. Wilson & Co. (which would become Wilson Sporting Goods around 1931 or so). Tough to assign a value with just one partial photo, but these are rather common. Maybe $10-20.
Mark
Aboiani
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Aboiani »

Thank you. I will let the boys know.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

MHO is that the Wilson reel is pretty nice and I guess I don't follow the same searches as Mark, since I have not seen that reel with any frequency. It's not going to put the kids through college, but I would think anyone buying trade reels or interested in wilson or Winchester would at least cough up $40 or so. The other reels, I fear, are quite common and not in particularly good shape so more in the range Mark suggested, at 10-20. Hope this helps...keep those boys hunting for reels!!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

FYI - There is an extensive article in the July 2006 Reel News on "The Reels of Thomas E. Wilson & Co." by Dr. Todd E.A. Larson. Indeed, the "640" series of reels were made by Winchester and the "H" code from the Wilson catalog was used on their earliest models.

Paul M