German Silver WINCHESTER Fly Reel ??

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
scottorock
Super Board Poster

German Silver WINCHESTER Fly Reel ??

Post by scottorock »

Reel appears to be made from GS. Tested with Simichrome on bottom of foot. Cloth turned black and it cleaned/polished that area. Underlined yardage having some sort of Winchester connection. Reel is riveted as opposed to being screwed to pillars. Any thoughts ideas on this one? Thanks in advance.
Scott
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: German Silver WINCHESTER Fly Reel ??

Post by Paul M »

My guess would be Horrocks & Ibbotson.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

It could be H-I, although their 1932-1934 catalogs show nothing. One of the later Winchester catalogs mentions the No.1234, a matte nickel finish model identical to the more common No.1232 with a regular nickel finish. The keyword here is "finish", though. I've never heard of a solid GS fly reel from Winchester or H-I.
Mark
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

It may be hard to tell from the photos posted, but it appears the counterbalance weight, center screw, and click button are plated brass. I used to own some MONEL reels but I dont have one now for comparison. I believe they were a darker grey. I dont think this fly reel is MONEL. Its definitely not brass/plated/finished. Its not aluminum either. What throws me off for some reason, I dont know why, but the reel is riveted. I would have thought the maker would have used screws to assemble since using better quality metal. The reel is solid and feels hefty in the hand.
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I believe the Winchester models were all riveted. Maybe Phil will chime in.
Mark