Firestone Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
big hoss
Advanced Board Poster

Firestone Reel

Post by big hoss »

I do not collect American made reels but yesterday I found a near perfect "Firestone" No S - 5642 - 1 in a New Zealand junk shop. I couldn't help myself and bought it to use as a comparative reel in my Swedish collection. It is of very different different construction to any Swedish made reel that I am aware of from the same era although,outwardly, it looks very similar. I looked through previous posts shown in ORCA as I tried to get some history to put with the reel. The results seem to be quite contentious and I was unable to determine who actually made the reel and when, although mid 50's seems possible and Shakespeare or Heddon are seen as possible makers. As most of the posts are quite old I am hoping that a fellow collector can provide me with up to date data on this reel.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Firestone Reel

Post by wrong99 »

One good photo would likely get you an answer. Probably Shakespeare or Ocean City, as Heddon hadn't actually manufactured a casting reel since 1930.
Mark