Coxe Reel find...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
morgan in new mexico
Big ORCA Fan

Coxe Reel find...

Post by morgan in new mexico »

Bought a bunch of antiques off ebay (mostly womens jewely and purses) and the seller included an old reel as part of the lot. Here's what I got. It is a Coxe reel, star drag with an unusual free-spool catch attached to the drag. Says J.A. Coxe 218 E. 25 ST L.A. CAL MAKER PAT. 5-27-24. Came with the leather case. The measurements are 4 1/4 wide by 5 1/5 in diameter. This reel other than a little dust is in unbelievable condition. Everything seems to work very well from what I can tell.

What is this? I know Penn, Fin-nors, and several other big game reels but I have limited knowledge of Coxe Reels. Thanks to all who reply.

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Coxe Reel find...

Post by wrong99 »

First, I would use the "Advanced Search" feature above, where you will find a ton of information on Coxe reels. Nice find on your early Coxe reel.
Mark
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Or if you don't know how to use the search just click this link: http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/search.p ... mit=Search
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
morgan in new mexico
Big ORCA Fan

How do I search when I don't know what I have ? Size or model number .
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Here are 3 pages on LA Coxe reels: search.php?keywords=la+coxe&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search If you sort through the threads & posts you are likely to find some pertinent info on your or a similar Coxe reel made in LA.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Here's a link to a very similar Coxe reel that is currently for sale on eBay. Yours has the correct handle and comes with the case, so it tells you that your reel is quite desirable and valuable. I don't know if the early Coxe reels made in Los Angeles were ever assigned model numbers, so we can't say your reel is a model so and so. Someone here should be able to figure out what size reel you have, however.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Vintage-Alm ... Sw1BlZURos
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The one Mark shows on eBay is a 6-0 #418.

Morgan, what's on the bottom of the foot on yours? Maybe showing a pic of the bottom would be of some help?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
morgan in new mexico
Big ORCA Fan

I've looked with a flashlight and a magnifying glass and there is nothing stamped on the bottom.
morgan in new mexico
Big ORCA Fan

I'll take a picture of the foot tomorrow in the daylight as I cant seem to shut the flash off of the camera and it bleaches it out right now. It is an interesting reel though. I don't know how to adjust it but it seems everything works very nice on it and could be fished right now.
BAP-62
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BAP-62 »

From the measurements you gave it should be a 9/0.
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/
Brian Purrone
ORCA Member
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

About the only thing Coxe marked on the reel seat of some LA reels is the 1924 patent date for that unique free spool mechanism on the star drag. It's spring loaded and made to lock on, then be released with a flick of the finger when you wanted to put reel in gear. As Brian said, that reel is a 9/0 size and its rare to have a case with it. Value is probably in the $700-900 range. 9/0 is a pretty common size to find in this reel but the LA reels are not common! Nice find!

Note: with line on, you won't see that patent mark...it will be in the middle of the top of the foot, under the line. MHO is that you should pull off the line to ensure nothing nasty is going on under there!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Here's one on eBay that is marked 6/0 and the seller says has a replaced knob.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Vintage-Alm ... 2736236678
morgan in new mexico
Big ORCA Fan

Thanks to all who have responded. Sorry I haven't replied earlier as I have been out fishing the last couple of days. I am a school teacher so summers are the only time I have to try out my equipment. I pulled the line off and the spool had no corrosion so I oiled the lube ports and put it back on. I haven't put any tools to this reel or even attempted to take it apart (cause I don't know how) just wiped off the dust and put it back in the case.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

My practice has always been to remove old line and toss it. Nothing good can come from re-spooling it with old line. Just my opinion, of course.
Mark
morgan in new mexico
Big ORCA Fan

I normally do toss the line and put fresh on but for my collection, I think it looks better with the old line on it. If I gave it to my dad, I'd have to put new line on it cause he would be using it from his boat... :fished

Anybody know about when it was made? Did it use some sort of spanner wrench for the spool bearings? I'm thinking its likely german silver.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Old line can sometimes cause terrible problems for a reel. Your reel was made prior to 1931.
Mark
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Don't throw it away. That old linen has value. I'm trying to buy more 54 thread cuttyhunk if anyone has some. The silk, not so much unless you happen to find some that was stored properly and is not deteriorated. The 130 and 180 class Gudebrod Dacron and 100-200# Ashaway nylon is nice stuff. Might as well toss the smaller nylon and mono.

The old natural fiber lines were dried after every use, but were often not washed after use. Washing took a lot more effort and did not do that much to prolong the life of the line. If the line was used in saltwater, dried and put back on the reel it can still wreck havoc on the spool over time. Especially in a humid climate.
-steve