Photobucket demise

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Photobucket demise

Post by Midway Tommy D »

BAP-62 wrote:Just clicked on the photo and the link, got the girls.
If you have to be account holder not to get the girls, that doesn't help stop the girls showing up.
Not everyone has an account.
Thanks Brian, that was exactly what I was getting at. :(
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Would someone who does not have a Postimage account click on my "Test Pattern" photo further back on this thread and let me know if you see anything that should not be there? Thanks

Bill Sonnett
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
BAP-62
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BAP-62 »

Bill, hate to say this, but the girls are there.
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/
Brian Purrone
ORCA Member
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Bill Sonnett wrote:Would someone who does not have a Postimage account click on my "Test Pattern" photo further back on this thread and let me know if you see anything that should not be there? Thanks

Bill Sonnett
Well, guys, & gals, here's what non-Postimage members get to see when they click on your photos, these are thumbnails so they can be enlarged:

Give me the word and I'll delete these examples & post

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Very strange. This doesn't happen on the fly rod forum at all, that I've ever heard of. I just posted 42 photos over the last several days to a "Heddon Catalogs" thread that I'm resurrecting on that board. Everything there is as it should be. So far.
Mark
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

tried Picturetrail took some figuring out but so far so good Had to try three different links until I hit the right one
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

wrong99 wrote:Very strange. This doesn't happen on the fly rod forum at all, that I've ever heard of. I just posted 42 photos over the last several days to a "Heddon Catalogs" thread that I'm resurrecting on that board. Everything there is as it should be. So far.
Mark
Mark,
I just spent about an hour over there clicking on photos that have been posted the last two or three days. I'm not registered there or on Postimage. Many pf the Postimage photos I clicked on did not have the surrounding girly ads but about 60% did. Obviously there must be a way for the poster to exclude them. It would be nice to find out the key to having them excluded. Hopefully someone knowledgeable and experienced with Postimage will share the tricks with the rest of us.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The other thing to be aware of is that anything you upload to this service gives them the right to use it pretty much any way they want. I believe that means they can also sell the images you have uploaded and give you nothing for it. They probably don't care about reel pictures but who knows where they could end up being abused.
With regard to any file or content you upload to the public portions of our site, you grant PostImage a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable worldwide license (with sublicense and assignment rights) to use, to display online and in any present or future media, to create derivative works of, to allow downloads of, and/or distribute any such file or content, including embedded (hotlinked) into third-party websites otherwise not affiliated with PostImage. To the extent that you delete any such file or content from the public portions of our site, the license you grant to PostImage pursuant to the preceding sentence will automatically terminate, but will not be revoked with respect to any file or content PostImage has already copied and sublicensed or designated for sublicense....
Like my mother always said, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. There is no free lunch.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Seems like business ethics have gone the way of the dinosaur. I understand that they change their rules and tell you that all future posts will no longer be supported unless you pay; but, to take all the posts of the last ten years and hold them hostage is downright evil. I am deeply hoping this is the demise of Photobucket. They deserve to fail. :x :x

While I don't necessarily disagree, nothing in life is really free. People should just be happy that they were able to store photos and use the third party link/hosting feature for the last ten or so years without cost. Change is a Biatch but eventually you just have to go with the flow to stay sane. :bash:
To tell you the truth, I never felt Photobucket was free. Every time I used that site, the pop ups drove me nuts; but I rationalized that it was worth putting up with the horrible service and the advertising in order to get the no cost to me hosting. I would not be unhappy if the charges, to eliminate the Pop Ups, were a reasonable amount; but, these guys got really greedy. They went from Zero Dollars to $40 a month. That's heavy and they held my previous service hostage. That is evil business!! :evil:
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

My pop-up blocker blocks the girls. I might have to disable it :)
Sid Lehr
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

My pop-up blocker blocks the girls. I might have to disable it :)
:lol:
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I chased a couple of the pics in trying to copy and paste for show... it just gets worse and worse the more you click so don''t go there! Tommy was smart enoughjudt to take screen shots.

Joe yates thought his popup blocker might have helped him too. However, i really don't care to support thr scum bags. For this site, i hope everyone takes advantage of our hosting, for the sake of preserving our archives.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

However, i really don't care to support thr scum bags. For this site, i hope everyone takes advantage of our hosting, for the sake of preserving our archives.
:cool
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

john elder wrote: For this site, i hope everyone takes advantage of our hosting, for the sake of preserving our archives.
I've been hosting them here since that option became available. I even went back to every old posts I could and edited or added to them where outside stored photos had been used.

I've opted for Picturetrail for sites that require outside hosts. So far so good. If you use the IMG option nothing happens if someone clicks on the posted photo, although you can post in a way to get to an entire album. I like that. There may be other ways to display that allow thumbnails or enlargement but I haven't explored that far yet.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027