Photobucket demise

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Photobucket demise

Post by Bill Sonnett »

If anyone is wondering why every picture I have ever posted on ORCA Reel News has disappeared. As of yesterday, Photobucket is demanding $400 per year from anyone with an account in order to post pictures on a third party site such as ORCA Reel News or Joe's Board. First I thought this was some kind of a scam but when I asked Joe Yates about it, he said it was true. Checked my old posts here and as predicted, all photos have disappeared.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Photobucket demise

Post by john elder »

Well, luckily, we have our own hosting, but I have a ton of pics there as well, so some will disappear. I wonder if they are being held for ransom.

I recently started a free(for now) picturetrail account because it got to be such a pain to fight my way through the pop ups on PHotobucket. They have been pressing hard for posters to get a paid account. Apparently, they have taken it to the level of hostage taking.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

John I don't use these sites to store photos as flash drives have gotten so cheap and hold a ton. At Tom Penniston's advice, I tried a site called "Postimage". Talk about easy to use and no popups. My only complaint is they assigned me the most complicated password known to man and I have not figured out how to change it-LOL
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

This is what you now get when you try to post....sigh....so sad....byebye, photocket.

Matt W., I wonder if we have archived all the past postings and can recover pics or identify to save for our archives??
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

https://goo.gl/photos/s1MKxABgP9F8a3Kj7

Google photos (replaced picasa) will also work, but you have to go to a link...and heaven forbid, that's another click!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Anytime you are using someone else's internet storage for your photos, you are at risk in the future. They can charge more money, shut down, etc. The best way to ensure your photos will always be there is to create a website. It does not have to be fancy. I would recommend GoDaddy.com. Give them a call and tell them you want the cheapest plan available for use as a photo library. It cost a little something, but you are in charge of your own destiny.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Postimage test
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Bill & Deke,

You guys need a bigger supply of this, looks like!

Have a great Holiday!

Alan

Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Bill, the whole idea to provide ORCAs own image hosting ability was to avoid this exact situation. At least we know ORCA hosted pics will be around as long as the board is. We highly encourage people to use it as soon as possible.

Now that people use it, the only problem is the pics on third party services remaining in posts like yours. I remember trying to go back and reloading some in threads in the repair section but even that was too time consuming.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Brian I tried downloading directly from my pictures but it always told me my pictures were too big. I have not the faintest idea how to make them smaller of what the numbers mean when they refers to size.
Post image has worked for me in my tests so far.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Brian F. wrote:Bill, the whole idea to provide ORCAs own image hosting ability was to avoid this exact situation. At least we know ORCA hosted pics will be around as long as the board is. We highly encourage people to use it as soon as possible.

Now that people use it, the only problem is the pics on third party services remaining in posts like yours. I remember trying to go back and reloading some in threads in the repair section but even that was too time consuming.
Bravo, Brian, to those of you that could see into the/our future! :bow: I remember when ORCA hosting came to be, I went back to most of the old threads where my PB photos were displayed and edited, or added when needed, photos so that they could be retained here at ORCA. Hopefully others can do something similar where warranted.

Bill, maybe if you tried compressing or resizing your photos they wouldn't be too large. I have never encountered that scenario. My photos start out at 2592 x 1944 pixels and occasionally get cropped a little, though.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Bill Sonnett wrote:Brian I tried downloading directly from my pictures but it always told me my pictures were too big. I have not the faintest idea how to make them smaller of what the numbers mean when they refers to size.
Post image has worked for me in my tests so far.
Bill- I'm no pic tech, but I'll take a shot. When you do a pic, I load from my camera onto my desktop. It's in jpeg format. When I click on the pic icon, there's a line of icons at the top of the pic. Click on the far right hand icon (looks like a pencil on a sheet of paper) and you get another row of icons. Click on the last one (looks like a square with a diagonal on it). Where it says "width" type in 2200. Then save. That should give you a pic well below 2MB which is acceptable by most websites.

Now you see why I'm no tech! Seems complicated but after you do it a few times, it really takes little time. Fingers crossed that this helps X . I have a Mac so maybe your 'puter doesn't work this way. Best---- joe Walkowski (WNYTC, ORCA)
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

You can resize several different ways.

If taking a photo, you can set your camera settings to a lower resolution but you don't generally want to take low res photos if you plan to use them, say, for a Reel News article. I find it's best to take the highest resolution possible and then resize them as needed.

To resize on a computer after the fact, you can use any free photo editing software out there and computers usually come with at least one pre-loaded. I use Microsoft's Paint that came on my computer and it's just a couple of steps. On a Windows machine, right click on the file of the photo with your mouse and click on "Open With". That should give you some programs as options to view/edit with. Within that, there should be an option to "Resize".

You can also do it on a phone or tablet but not sure what the steps are since I don't use those much.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Reel Addictive
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reel Addictive »

I hate it. Those that came before us have provided so much valuable information.

To lose it now is just depressing.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18363&hilit=losing+pictures

William
Going to the mountains is going home. John Muir

William Garvin
ORCA Member
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Testing a picture stored on my own Weebly site, using this code:
"[i*m*g]http://reelyoldreels.weebly.com/uploads ... 4_orig.jpg[/i*m*g]"
proving that you can host your own pics using a free Weebly account, at least up to the account storage limits.

Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Too much technical stuff for this old dinosaur. I'll just go back to chiseling my hieroglyphics into the stone walls of my cave!! (Hope I don't slip and hit my hand with the hammer.) Jon
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I have been using Photobucket for years. Now that they have resorted to extortion. I told them to go to H**l... They sent me an email linking me to my files, telling me I have 12 hours to download them. But when I went to Photbucket, they said I was too late (it was about a half hour after they notified me). Some one I know was able to get all my photos downloaded after I gave him my password and he sent me all my photos in a Zip File.
I am an old timer, this all goes over my head. I simply feel like I am being robbed. I do know one thing for sure, I will not give Photobucket one penny. They wanted $39.00 a month for a subscription or about $400 for a year. I guess all my future posts will be posted using the image upload provided here.
I have been told that if you are a Amazon Prime subscriber, you can store your photos at Amazon and post from there; but, I have not tried that yet.

Seems like business ethics have gone the way of the dinosaur. I understand that they change their rules and tell you that all future posts will no longer be supported unless you pay; but, to take all the posts of the last ten years and hold them hostage is downright evil. I am deeply hoping this is the demise of Photobucket. They deserve to fail. :x :x
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Postimage is the most wonderful alternative, as we have found out over at Dr. Todd's classicflyrodforum. Incredibly easy, smooth, lightning-fast, without a single annoying ad or pop-up. And free, of course. Try it.
Mark
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Postimage is the most wonderful alternative, as we have found out over at Dr. Todd's classicflyrodforum. Incredibly easy, smooth, lightning-fast, without a single annoying ad or pop-up. And free, of course. Try it.
I will, thank you Mark
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

wrong99 wrote:Postimage is the most wonderful alternative, as we have found out over at Dr. Todd's classicflyrodforum. Incredibly easy, smooth, lightning-fast, without a single annoying ad or pop-up. And free, of course. Try it.
Mark
The last Postimage photo I clicked on, which was just yesterday, and not related to classicflyrodforum, had two thirds of the page covered with Russian hooker and dating adds. :o Needless to say, I don't want that kind of garbage associated with my name or photos, so I immediately took Postimage off my list of possible hosting sites. I don't use a hosting site unless it is required to post photos, though, and AT is the only place I visit that hasn't converted to self storage yet.
Seems like business ethics have gone the way of the dinosaur. I understand that they change their rules and tell you that all future posts will no longer be supported unless you pay; but, to take all the posts of the last ten years and hold them hostage is downright evil. I am deeply hoping this is the demise of Photobucket. They deserve to fail. :x :x
While I don't necessarily disagree, nothing in life is really free. People should just be happy that they were able to store photos and use the third party link/hosting feature for the last ten or so years without cost. Change is a Biatch but eventually you just have to go with the flow to stay sane. :bash:

The really nice thing about ORCA hosting is that the photo can be placed strategically in the post. Many places have a limit, for or five pictures per post, and lumped together at the bottom. The thumbnail, as a space saving feature, is also a great asset here, too.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Tommy,
Sounds like the photo you clicked on was posted by someone who didn't actually open an account with Postimage. Hence, the Russian dating crap, etc. Once an account is opened, none of that is visible, nothing but the photo is seen.
Mark
Last edited by wrong99 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

wrong99 wrote:Tommy,
Sounds like the photo you clicked on was posted by someone who didn't actually open an account with Postimage. Hence, the Russian dating crap, etc. Once an account is opened, none of that is visible, nothing but the photo is seen. Here's a photo from Postimage.
Mark
Mark,
Click on your posted photo. It will take you to here and you will see what I'm talking about. I know JE, among others, has seen this issue, too.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Clicked on the photo and on the HERE link. All I get is the posted photo--nothing else
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Same here. It actually enlarges the photo a little when I click on it. Same with the "Here" link. I don't know what to say. Try opening an account with Postimage. Takes all of 60 seconds, as you just create a userID and password. The, come back and click on my photo.
Mark
BAP-62
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BAP-62 »

Just clicked on the photo and the link, got the girls.
If you have to be account holder not to get the girls, that doesn't help stop the girls showing up.
Not everyone has an account.
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/
Brian Purrone
ORCA Member