Reel news article Penn/Daiwa connection

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Reel news article Penn/Daiwa connection

Post by arley »

Exc article about the Penn/Daiwa connection in the newest issue. I have a MIB Daiwa 7250 spinning reel that must be a Japanese market reel. Color is is silver as opposed to the US versions which are dark or light brown.it came with the cloth bag as shown in the article marked Penn/Daiwa.The writing on the box is split between Japanese and English.A pride of my Daiwa connection. Good job ORCA.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Reel news article Penn/Daiwa connection

Post by m3040c »

That is interesting.

Glad you enjoyed that article. It was a long time in the making for me. Information on the Penn / Daiwa connection was not easy to find. Seems the Federal Excise Taxes are what killed the Penn release of the reels in the USA.

Is this the same cloth bag you had with your reel?
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

That must be an interesting article. I have long wondered about the Penn-Daiwa Ventura-Heddon-Daisy thing. Maybe that is in there too?
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

Yes- same bag.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

That must be an interesting article. I have long wondered about the Penn-Daiwa Ventura-Heddon-Daisy thing. Maybe that is in there too?
The article is in the July issue of the Reel News. Not too sure about the Penn-Daiwa-Ventura-Heddon-Daisy thing. That seems to be above my Pay Grade...............<:O)
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Yes- same bag.
Interesting. I know my reel is from the 1960's, making the bag over 50 years old and as far as I know only distributed in Japan. Those two considerations would tell me that is this is a difficult item to find. At least we now know there are two survivor Penn / Daiwa cloth bags..... :shock:
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

To further add to this discussion- I have a Ryobi Ul reel with the same bag but Ryobi is the only mention- no Penn connection. Bag is identical in size & color to the Penn /Daiwa bag we discussed.