Montague 100yd

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
willfish
Big ORCA Fan

Montague 100yd

Post by willfish »

Hello all. Brand new member here. I have a montague 100 yd fly reel that I am looking for information on. It is a nice little reel, but the spool has a little bit of side play. Under the side cap is a tapered spindle end, but nothing for it to contact. Is this the original design or is it missing a part?
And suggestions on when it was made.
Or additional info would be appreciated
Thanks
Will

Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Montague 100yd

Post by Don Champion »

A little side play is normal on Montague reels. There never was anything for the end of the pivot to touch. There is probably a little wear on the end of the pivot. Under ideal conditions the end of the pivot would have touched the end cap on the inside, being tapered to lessen the drag. If you plan ti use the reel to fish with a small piece of oiled felt would help with the end play.
willfish
Big ORCA Fan

Post by willfish »

thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately the result of the end play on the shaft is that the check gear has worn unevenly. The outside half of the teeth have rounded over & the inside half are sharp. Is it possible to replace the gear?
Does anyone work on these reels? I know mr archuletta doesn't touch check wheels.
Will
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Nice little reel! the 100 yd size is a bit tougher to find than 60 an 80 yd sizes, in my experience. Gives you enough room to hold the fly line needed for most trout fishing.

Don's idea re the oiled felt is a great one. I usually go the route of a metal insert such as a bit of tin foil, but I like the felt idea better!

Don can speak to age better than I can, but they made these reels for quite a number of years. My wild guess would be this one is from the teens, but maybe later.

Re your last comment, I just picked up an 80 yd on which the click gear is totally loose. I thought the spring was broken or pawl was worn until I opened it up...the loose gear was a "best" answer since I should be able to re-solder the gear in place. thus, yes...I would say your gear could be melted off for replacement or alternatively, you might be able to repair with a bit of filing and/or solder addition.

Given that type of wear, I would think end play is not the culprit...sounds to me like you need a shim around the spindle! If you want me to have a go at repair, send along a PM or email and we can give it a go.

....and welcome to the board!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
willfish
Big ORCA Fan

Post by willfish »

John, thank you. I will machine a shim washer to remove the spindle end play. I might take you up on the offer to do the gear repair. Where are you located?
Will
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

This is a very desirable fly reel.
I've cut small pieces from phosphor bronze sheet to make spindle pads for Golden West through my dad's Lew's (he cranks it down and wears through them)
I bought the sheet and a hand press-brake cutter to fabricate a Talbot spring, but it's great material to have around. (dremel cut-off and tweezers)
Check McMaster, they will have strip and sheet in many good copper wear alloys.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

To repair a check or click gear on any Montague reel, try this. Use a 5/15" flat blade screwdriver and work it under the gear. Twist it sideways and work your way around the gear, being very careful not to pry against the spool flange. The gear should pop off shortly. File the back side flat again where the burrs have deformed the gear. You may have to file the inside of the gear slightly to get it back on, but place it back on the shaft with the worn side inside. add a couple of drops of Loctite and allow to set up overnight. I have done this many times. However, it only helps the click and not the end play.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I forgot to add that if you had the ORCA reel repair book you would have found this repair in the text.
willfish
Big ORCA Fan

Post by willfish »

Gentlemen, thank you all for the helpful responses. I have fabricated a brass thrust washer to take care of the spindle end play, & put a piece of oiled felt inside the end cap. I also purchased an unfortunately buffed 60 yd montague of the same vintage with much less worn internals & a jeweled end cap. It turns out that the check gears are the same on both reels, so I might attempt a gear transfer at some point.
Will