Multiplier Reel ID ?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
flysupplies
Advanced Board Poster

Multiplier Reel ID ?

Post by flysupplies »

Anyone know the maker or have one of these?

Thanks
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Multiplier Reel ID ?

Post by Nick in NY »

Nice reel definitely high end! It was possibly made by Hofe or Kopf. I've seen them sell for upwards of $1,000. If you dare to open it CAREFULLY you may find a patent or name inside.
Tight Lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Can you post pics from all sides and the foot?

thx
j
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

I had one stamped - F. VOM HOFE & SON - on the hard rubber side plate and I have seen two others that were unmarked in slightly different sizes. Here is a picture of the one that was marked, it looks a lot like yours.

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Score! Pretty undeniable match!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

The only difference I can see is that his reel has a reverse "S" handle .... but ... I would guess same maker too.
Ed Pritchard
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Now that the reel has been ID'd I suppose I could be forgiven if I hijack just briefly :wink: .... at the risk of appearing ignorant, what do those two screws on the headplate do? There's no clutch, no levelwind, they're not in the right place to be bridge screws. But the bridge is mounted to something, so I suppose those two screws hold the headplate to the bridge plate (is that what it is called, that little plate where the screws for the posts and foot are?). Thanks.
Sid Lehr
flysupplies
Advanced Board Poster

Post by flysupplies »

reeltackle wrote:The only difference I can see is that his reel has a reverse "S" handle .... but ... I would guess same maker too.
Could it have a reverse S handle because the reel feels LHW with the clicker
engaged? (heavier click tension in pay, light click tension in wind).

BTW, there is a typical approx 5/16" Vom Hofe hole" centered in the foot between the braces.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Sid, the two screws hold on the face plate...pillar screws are underneath. Two hard rubber buttons wools typically be drag on top and clicker below.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

No, I think not. The handle would be on the opposite side of the plate if it were LHW. So would the click and drag buttons.
Mark
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

john elder wrote:Sid, the two screws hold on the face plate...pillar screws are underneath. Two hard rubber buttons wools typically be drag on top and clicker below.
Thanks, John, but I'm still confused. I hadn't considered those were movable buttons, but if they are, do they really function to hold on the face plate as well? Is there a schematic or patent diagram anyone knows about for this design? Photos of a disassembled reel? Any visual aid would be appreciated.
Sid Lehr
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

No, the black HR buttons are affixed to the front plate and the mechanisms are on the back side, so no contribution to holding the face plate. You may not appreciate that there is an internal plate where the pillars are mounted and where those two screws screw in. Either that or I'm totally off base, but don't think so....should show metal if viewed from the spool side.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

I had one apart and you are and you are right on base John, just like "Flynn a-hugging third".
Ed Pritchard
Honorary Life Member

flysupplies
Advanced Board Poster

Post by flysupplies »

john elder wrote:No, the black HR buttons are affixed to the front plate and the mechanisms are on the back side, so no contribution to holding the face plate. You may not appreciate that there is an internal plate where the pillars are mounted and where those two screws screw in. Either that or I'm totally off base, but don't think so....should show metal if viewed from the spool side.
yes. exactly correct. totally on base.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Thanks, John, I do appreciate that there is a plate behind the head plate onto which the bridge (and other things) are mounted, but it was the buildup of material (the button) that I initially thought was built up so as to function as a buttress for the screw heads. So one is the drag, one is the clicker, that answers my original question. I'm going to try to find a schematic or patent, I want to see how this drag is designed, as well as the clicker on the head plate. Not sure, but I don't think I've seen that before.
Sid Lehr
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Consider opening it up to see. Just two screws will do it. Finding a schematic might be near impossible.
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Sid, I think you'll find the design typical of what was used on most KY-style reels as well. The "drag" will push down on a spring steel piece that, in turn, pushes a brass pin through a hole in the inner plate and against the spool to cause drag....not engineering's finest hour, but works. The clicker will push another springy piece of metal against the pinion gear, thus making the click. The screws in the buttons set the tension for each action. It will be pretty close to that, I'm guessing, if not right on.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

This might help - my example opened up for review:

Finding a schematic might be near impossible.
Mark is right, if one exists, I've never seen it. Nor have I seen any patents for the click/drag. Those Kentucky boys had been using that same set-up for decades prior to even this early reel.

Jim
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
BILL HOERTER
Frequent Board Poster

Post by BILL HOERTER »

Jim - Does your reel have a hole in the foot? I have one that is similar but it has 3 screws & the 2 rubber buttons & it is metal bound & has a 3/8" hole in the foot.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Thank you, Jim, that is quite helpful. So the button at 11 o'clock pushes in and is a drag, while the button at 9 o'clock rotates and moves the clicker spring toward and away from the pinion.
wrong99 wrote:Consider opening it up to see. Just two screws will do it.
Mark
But alas, I must be in possession of the reel for this to work, and I am not.
Sid Lehr
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Jim - Does your reel have a hole in the foot?
Yep, sure does
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

CB&M also made a reel that looks almost identical. I believe it was pictured in one of Henshall's editions of the Book of the Black Bass
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

CB&M also made a reel that looks almost identical.
David, is this the one you refer to?

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Yes. Every aspect of one that I have is consistent with that, except no markings. I do have a marked CBM nickel-plated brass NY-KY style that looks like nothing I have never seen illustrated though!
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Correction: It looks like everything that I have never seen illustrated. It looks like nothing that I have seen illustrated.