Little help on removing this reel from rodl

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
GabbyT
Big ORCA Fan

Little help on removing this reel from rodl

Post by GabbyT »

Picked this broken rod up at a yard sale thinking someone might need the reel. Problem is I cannot figure out how it comes off. Anyone know (Other than using a hacksaw) Thanks
Gabby Talkington
www.Antiquelures.com
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Little help on removing this reel from rodl

Post by john elder »

Hey, Gabby...I've never had one of those, but i would think that the Aluminum (?) shaft on the side away from the cork would turn counterclockwise to loosen...that would free the reel. It might require some encouragement with soaking in Kroil of other oil....heat gun in the extreme...but seems the likely way from here.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

Post by chrisham61 »

never had on either but it looks like a mitchell 510 with forked foot.The guys at the mitchell reel museum are familiar with these.Are you wanting to sell it.
Chris Ham
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The rear portion of the grip is threaded and it should have a cork grip on the aluminum rod/tube. With the reel down turn the rear gold washer portion to the left. It won't move very far, maybe an eighth of an inch or so, just enough to let the reel slide back out of the notch and drop out. If it's corroded you may need to coax it a little to break it loose. Good luck, they can be tough little boogers if they haven't been loosened for awhile. BTW, don't throw the rod or handle away! The handle is one of the most important aspects of the 500 series Mitchells. It can be reinstalled on a different rod and they are quite tough to come by.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
GabbyT
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GabbyT »

I've got it oiled overnight. Judging from how it looks, there was cork on that rear portion but it's been long gone for some time. Thanks for the tips and for mentioning keeping the handle. It will bd available after I get done toying with it. If you know anyone that would like to be King of the Mitchells they should contact me. There were three large bags of spools and reels in that trailer load I found. No pictures yet as I'm still finding them
Gabby Talkington
www.Antiquelures.com