Uh Oh! Little help please...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Uh Oh! Little help please...

Post by JoeW »

The rookie reel collector purchased a Waltco Nyolite spin reel. It seems to be missing a little slide for turning the anti-reverse on and off. The slot is there and it operates if I poke a pencil in there. Seller said it was an early model without the slide? Really? Looks like the slide fell out or broke off to me! Is this just a bunch of malarkey! Thanks, Best--- JoeW

Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Uh Oh! Little help please...

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Send it back, Joe. I think you already know you're getting the BS runaround. First of all the earliest models only had 3 screws on the sideplate, so it's not an "early model", and they didn't put a slot in the sideplate for no reason.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Thanks Tom-- Yea, I sort of figured, but I didn't want to miss out on an "early model"! LOL

By the way- I picked up a Super Zebco 33 and thought it was broken, too. Could figure out how to engage the line retrieve. Duh- push the handle IN! And, had problems with the Shakes Spin-wondereel! Couldn't fig out how to get it into cast mode! Geez, got to be an engineer to collect reels! Thanks again. Best---- JoeW
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

JoeW wrote:Thanks Tom-- Yea, I sort of figured, but I didn't want to miss out on an "early model"! LOL

By the way- I picked up a Super Zebco 33 and thought it was broken, too. Could figure out how to engage the line retrieve. Duh- push the handle IN! And, had problems with the Shakes Spin-wondereel! Couldn't fig out how to get it into cast mode! Geez, got to be an engineer to collect reels! Thanks again. Best---- JoeW
Ha! You're just gettin' started, wait 'til you get a red Heddon Spin Pal, Mitchell 330 or 440 or a few others I can't think of right now. :loco: The Spin Pal bail won't fully close and reel properly unless there's a little tension on the line in the corner. Those 2 Mitchells have auto open bails, and then there's the German Silent Spin Flite in which the half bail opens backwards. :roll: Those types of things are what keeps it interesting. :mrgreen:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Uh oh--- I could be in trouuuuuuble with those spin reels! Yea- you're right about making it interesting. Funny- I'm finding reels a lot more interesting than lures because reels DO something. There seems to be a lot of different ways makers come up with for doing the same thing.

Seller got back to me and more or less admitted he was guessing at the Waltco being an "early" model. Full refund plus my return postage. Good guy. Best--- JoeW
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

reels DO something
My motto!

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Hi Steve--- Didn't mean to infringe on your motto! I'm sure the fact that reels DO something has been concluded by many collectors and is why so many collect reels. Sounds like a good motto for ORCA? Yep-- you can hold an old lure in your hand, look at it, turn it around, say "nice color", "great history", but then you just hang it back up and look at the next one. With a reel, on the other hand, you can do everything above, BUT a reel just begs to be cranked and have the buttons and levers pushed and turned on and off! I'm liking reels more and more! The sad part is when a reel you find is supposed to DO something but it doesn't! Oh, the humanity!

Hey- question for you. The history of reels is a long sequence of improvements on a theme: Reels hold line and let the fishermen cast and retrieve a bait, and play and land a fish. The reels I use now already have so many "bells and whistles" it took me months to figure out how to use them! Question: What do you think will be the next new improvement in modern reels?

Heck- I'll throw this out to anyone! Have fun. Best---- JoeW
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Chuck Gano »

the next innovation's for reels will proably have micro-chips & artificial intelligence and the guy holding it will proably just have to stand there and think about where he wants the lure to go & the reel does the rest, but seriously the newest reels are becoming seriously expensive and not much better then the old ones for catching fish, my son has a pile of new musky reels that cost an arm and both legs and seem to spend a lot of time at the reel hospital, and heaven forbid you should loose one of those $100.00+ musky lures
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

...and a reel will NEVER lose a belly weight paint and drop value in half! :shock:

...er...so, I suppose that reels have improved....they have certainly gotten more complicated. A peak inside a Baitrunner I was reno-ing for a friend convinced me that some doors are best left unopened!! removed the sticks and dead birds with mineral spirits...shot in some Balistol and ran like hell!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Some of us have never figured out how to use the old ones. First one I ever had was a Montgomery Ward Sport King. Impossible to cast without a backlash. I could have very easily given up on fishing as a kid. Have tried using several of my old reels, even ones my Dad used to use in a casting club when he worked for Delco Radio in the 50's., still no success. When I got my first Zebco for Christmas one year I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. My Johnny Morris Reels, Garcia's, Lews and other modern inventions are great. And the used Shimano I bought on Phil White's reccomendation is great. I don't think current models need much improvement. For the people who can use the old ones I say fantastic. Not me! Signed," Marian The Hopefully Soon To Be Replaced O.R.C.A. Librarian" Jon
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Bunch of replies to the above:

Chuck: Yup, I can see “computer controlled anti-backlash”! How about voice-activated commands to the reel such as “tighten drag”, “slow retrieve” “pause”, etc. (when I have a good one on, I can see my buddy yelling at my reel “Snap line! Snap line!). Also thinking of a reel that senses the pull exerted by a fish, and it’s speed and movements and then tells you what kind of fish you’ve hooked and how big! LOL- we have “car-cams” right? How about “reel-cams”! Yea, fantasies right now, but magnetic drags were unheard of not too long ago! Ooooh Ooooh (Horshack- Welcome Back Kotter): terrible thought! How far into the future is it to when there will be no reels, and no actual fishing. Just a 3-D headset and a computer-reel. All virtual! Scary, eh? Take your kids and grandkids and the neighbor’s kids “out fishing”! And charge them to do the same with their kids and grandkids!

John E: You’re kidding about the insides of that reel! I like the “removed the sticks and dead birds”- you have a way of telling a story! Wait until you have to replace computer chips on a reel! And yes- more complicated! All the newer reels I use, I have never had any of them apart! Scared!

Jon K (“Marian”): My first “reel” was a generic, black, no frills, baitcaster of unknown origin. After reading books on how to cast and practicing for hours, I gave up! In all seriousness, when I went fishing, I would strip off the black line into a neat pile, grab the end of the line (equipped with bait and a 1/2 oz dipsey), whirl it around my head and let fly. Then I’d pick up the rod/reel and fish! Worked for me!

Best---- JoeW
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I wasn't going to post this because it was such a thread hijack, but this thread is already so hijacked, I changed my mind! Email I sent to Marion the Hoosier Librarian:

Jon, I used to think the same way and certainly used to get constant backlashes with the old bait casters....till I finally figured out that most of the problem was testosterone poisoning! When I toned down the spool and stopped trying to throw plugs 100 yds, almost all tangle problems went away. A fellow showed me to set up the reel so that when you let go of the spool, the plug would drop to ground level at a nice even pace without over-rotating, I found the problems went away and I could still cast all the distance I needed and not over-rotate significantly. That, and a decent sized arbor to get the line higher pretty much did the trick.

The other trick that Dan Basore taught me was that when you did get a birds nest, the trick was to press down on it with your thumb and crank....pull off what line will come off and do it again...keep doing that until the birds nest is out....most of us start plucking at the tangle, but that just draws parts of it down tighter...go give a try!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

I always adjust all of my Newer reels like that. I probably never tried it on an older one. I think I lost all signs of testosterone a few years back. Don't need it anymore. I was letting a friend try one of my newer reels and was showing him how to adjust it. He hit the release the plug dropped to the ground,overrunning resulting in a horrible birds nest. Didn't have it set quite tight enough!
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

I will service any reel anytime.. except 1 baitrunner, and 1 Stella were enough of those particular models for me. Like I say, I will try anything once ;)