Mitchell Collecting Question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Mitchell Collecting Question

Post by oldsaltnfla »

For you guys who collect Mitchell spinning reels, how would you suggest a guy start collecting them? Are there certain model numbers that are "must haves?" Or, should a guy just buy one here and there as he finds them? How important is condition? Should they be in good working order? Personally, I like to also use and fish with most of the reels I collect. I have a pretty good fly reel collection and most of them I use.
Joe
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Mitchell Collecting Question

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Appearance and mechanical condition are a couple of the most important attributes when collecting reels, especially newer, post 1930s vintage, spinning reels. There are others here that can give you a better idea on what might be the most collectible Mitchells but my advice would be to think about what type of collection you want in the end and methodically work towards that goal, always keeping an eye out for the rare examples at reasonable prices. Starting out helter skelter only leads to mass confusion down the line. Pick up a couple of books for reference, say by Dennis Roberts, Wallace Carney or Ben Wright, to get an idea on rarity and values.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

What Tommy said....plus, you can't really go wrong with New in original box or at least excellent in box with paperwork. Most (all?) Mitchells also came with a spare spool that would be part of the mix. Even the most common models like the 300, 302, 308 and the left hand versions will take on decent value if complete in box with goodies.

They also all have left hand versions, so you can collect over there or on both sides, just to spice things up till some real toughie comes your way. For most of us, the thrill of the hunt is at least as important and fun as the ownership, so waiting to trip across that 'gold egg' can be a lot more rewarding than leading with your checkbook.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Thanks for all the info. I really like the "ultra lights" and I would like to collect those. So far I have a 304 and a 308, both in immaculate condition. I also have another one that I bought from a member of this forum, but I can't remember the model number. I am currently in the process of moving to Townsend, Tennessee in mid-September and all of my reels are packed away so I can't get to it to post the model number.
Joe
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

My favorite are the half bails. The 300's are the most prevalent and easiest on the wallet. The CAP(304) doesn't come around as often but isn't always too expensive either for the later versions. Other half bails are tougher to find and usually have a hefty price tag when they do. If you are really into collecting though, finding the other versions from European distibutors is fun too. Here in the US, we usually see the Garcia versions but there were other distributors as well depending on the country where they were sold. The most important thing is to have fun!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

Post by chrisham61 »

you need to check out Mitchell reel museum online.Schematics , rare mitchell reels,parts lookup,fake Mitchell's ,tons of info that is invaluable if you collect mitchells
Chris Ham
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

oldsaltnfla wrote: I am currently in the process of moving to Townsend, Tennessee
Joe
Hey Joe, you'll have to switch to "OldsaltnTenn" to keep from confusing us after the move! :) Or "OldsaltnFLnowTenn" would work :) :)
Sid Lehr
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I agree with those who say buy them boxed.
If you're buying reels to fish, I recommend the 400 series.
I fish that 410 with the aftermarket alloy spool, and I lined one of the spools on the boxed 440 just for the photo below
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

Post by chrisham61 »

If you are fishing them I would forget the boxes.They escalate the price enormously.It depends on your budget.I prefer the 300 series.More ,parts less money.I,'ve seen several very high end rare reels that have been fished.These are for dislay.The sky is the it when collecting mitchells.The price goes from a few dollars into multiples of thousands of dollars.This is an aspect that makes them collectable.There are Mitchell's out there for everyone's budget.I use the 300 series fishing pier lights at night in south Alabama for large mouth bass with plastic worms.Short range and lure placement is critical.People that fish with me use baitcasters.None have outfished me to date.I think the slow gear ratio of the 300 helps keep the bait in the target area.Most fish two fast.Sure you can slow it down with a faster reel but the inclination is to speed it up.
Chris Ham
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Chuck Gano »

dont forget the 408,thats my favorite to fish when compared to some of the new u.l. reels on the market still a great value usually since if anything goes wrong with them parts are readily available and almost anyone can work on them,
cg
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I still prefer my green Penns to my Mitchells, but a few friends have bought 408s from my recommended list to fish on their cane UL rods, and love them.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

so I have a question for Mitchell collectors.
I've seen 800 and 900 series reels (high-dollar)
and a 510 that was a special forked rod mount.
Did Mitchell have 600 and 700 series reels?

and throwing out photos, here's my 3rd model CAP
(impatiently awaiting war-extended time limit on Hardy's Altex flip-bail patent)
fish this on a Cortland glass rod

interesting about Hardy's patent. On their next "fixed spool" reel design, the Exalta, they copied the Mitchell bail.
Hardy's 1932 patent brazed-on the bail spring, but comparing to what else existed then, it was the space shuttle of fishing reels. My MkIV Altex is the smoothest reel I have ever fished, including modern computer-balanced spinning reels.
I also believe Shakespeare post-war didn't pay attention to Hardy's patent, and introduced flip-bail spinning reels before 1954
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Did Mitchell have 600 and 700 series reels?
600's were a saltwater reel & 700's were fly reels.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

perfect - thanks!
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

Post by chrisham61 »

by saltwater he means trolling reels like the penn long beach
Chris Ham
charleyb
Frequent Board Poster

Post by charleyb »

For Ron Mc - here are most of the reels in the 600 series (many awaiting servicing!).
Regards, Charley

Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

yes, I had seen a few of those "in the day", but never made the 600 connection - nice collection, thanks for the photos