Zebco Question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Zebco Question

Post by oldsaltnfla »

For you Zebco collectors/enthusiasts; what do you think about the Zebco Model 44 Underspin Spin Cast reel? I haven't seen very many of them around, but from what I have seen they look very interesting. I had a Model 154 once with the trigger line release and was not very impressed with it, though the 44 seems to be a little better made. I like the under rod Shakespeare and South Bend closed faced reels such as the 1810, and I have collected several different models over the years. So how is the quality of the 44, and do they work as they are supposed to? If I ever get one, I plan to fish it once in a while as I am a collector, but I like to use what I collect.
Joe
Dick Braun,that-zebco-guy
Super Board Poster

Re: Zebco Question

Post by Dick Braun,that-zebco-guy »

Hi Joe
The Zebco 44 is a underslung Zebco 33 and there were only 4 models of the reel. the 1st was black, 2nd was Chrome plated, 3rd was Stainless Steel front & rear cover's, 4th was the same as the 3rd with a rubber trigger guard on the release. It is as strong and good as the original 33's were the major difference is the 2 small gears that the handle is connect to that turn the main gear, make sure they are in good shape because they are impossible to find replacements for. The 44 was built and made for a spinning rod as you must know.
That-Zebco-Guy the one who collects the bullet proof closed face reels. Joined ORCA Oct. 2003, Past VP. Need to ask a question: call me 1-941-639-8330 home, 941-661-7187 cell, EST.