My first... Shakespeare Marhoff

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

My first... Shakespeare Marhoff

Post by Tightlines666 »

Just picked up my first Shakespeare Marhoff on Ebay...

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?isRefine=t ... &LH_Sold=1

Not my current area of expertise, and I just shot from the hip. I would venture a wild guess thst this is one of the early post war production models?

Can someone help me out here?

What did I buy? Model/Style#s (1964/Model 30?) .ca. production years?, is it the correct box? Is it worth more then I paid?

Figured I should own one, and I can't remember the features I was looking for to get an early one. I think I could recognize one of the really early Marhoff reels though...maybe.

John
Last edited by Tightlines666 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Re: My first... Shakespeare Marhoff

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Shakespeare Dating Chart shows 1940-1942. Jon
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

Jonathan P. Kring wrote:Shakespeare Dating Chart shows 1940-1942. Jon
Thanks Jon!

That's what I was looking for.. a cheap prewar.. lol.

Does that look like the correct box to you?
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

I would think so. That's an early box. Len Sawich or Bill Sonnett could tell you for sure. I have several, probably none w/boxes.
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Actually, I'd say you did pretty well. First, the Marhoff's usually go for about what you paid give or take. To get a box with that price isn't bad. But... there's always a but! The sellers description isn't what you got, according to the pics. The reel in the pics is a 1930 Model, not a Model GE as can be seen on the foot. The pics are a bit dark, but it looks like a black head plate which was also found on the earlier reels. The GE was green, and is super common on ebay. The Shakespeare reels have a style #, such as the Marhoff being a 1964. They also had a model # or code that indicated what year that model first appeared. From my experience, the Marhoff's around 1932 and earlier had model numbers in 2 year increments. There were a few jumps I think, but mostly in that range. The letters such as GE, were a coded date, but stood for the same purpose. The Shakespeare guys can correct me if I'm wrong. There was also a very nice article in the Reel News a few months ago as mentioned in the other Marhoff post from this week if you would like more info. Anyway, they are very nice reels so enjoy!

-James
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

Post by Len Sawisch »

John, that Model 1930 was the only model produced with the fancy 'wedding cake' sliding click button, at least based on my experience. It is the second version or model with a sliding click. The first was what I call the Model 1928. I have seen a number of what appear to be Model 1926 Marhoffs with a typical sliding click button and no model number, ergo my calling them 1928s.

I believe the reference to "New Marhoff" speaks to the chromium finish, so the box is about right. I have three different versions of the "New Marhoff" box, with a 1926 box patent date, two with a 1928 box patent date, and a 1932 box patent date. I would guess your box has the 1928 box patent date, either listed on a sticker on the box bottom (earlier) or on the back panel (later)?

By the way, the 'Shakespeare Dating Chart' never made any sense to me. Why a company would make a Model 30 reel in 1940, and have marked models 1931, 32, HF (35), HE (36), HD (37), and HB (39) before it came out with the GL (40) is beyond my comprehension. I would love to see a logical explanation.

Finally, as a Marhoff addict, I think you did quite well at $15 with the box.
Len Sawisch
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

James & Len,

Thank you for your insight!

I was pretty sure the description was incorrect, and the plates appeared black, which I recalled were less common and earlier. The box looked to be a little earlier style as well. Also, that was the first time I have seen that clicker style. Not a particuarily expensive reel, but I am glad my first buy was of the slightly earlier variety, and has the fancy clicker (1928 patient?).

Guess it is obviously an AMP, and no need to check the head plate cover bearing mounts, or silver circle insert, or mounting screws then. I will check the box to try to confirm your suspected 1928 date, and I will certainly be disassembling the reel for cleaning and lube though.

So a 1908, 1928, and others, patented..1930 reel produced .ca. 1940.. makes perfect sense :|

I enjoyed the March 2017 article almost as much as the November 2016 article, both of which I just had to re-read. Unfortunately, I do not have readily-available access to the talks from the 2002 or 2011 nationals. I do currently own origionsl Reel News from 1993 to 2001, January 2009, and 2015 to present. I have read every one of these articles, and all those in the "The History of the Fishing Reel", as well as several, perhaps 20 or so, books on collectable fishing reels.

I think I might be lucky to remember less then 1% of the knowledge they contained. I often find myself pouring through these, and the threads here looking for the "Now where did I read that?".

:bricks:

:?

:bash:

;)

It looks like I am now the proud owner of...

"The World's Best Reel."

John

Postscript:
Kinda crazy I can ask a random Marhoff question, and within 4 hours have heard directly from the masters. :idea:
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Since we're discussing the No.1964 Marhoff, how about the gold-plated No.1964-A, with green marbled head plate and matching handle grips. This is the Model 32. Click on thumbnail to see the larger image.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

I've seen the black and white marbled ones, but have never seen the green Marbled one. Everyone of the Marhoffs I have ever bought has had chipped paint. The Marbled ones aren't painted though.