Question: JC Higgins Mod 500 spin reel...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Question: JC Higgins Mod 500 spin reel...

Post by Tightlines666 »

Midway Tommy D wrote:Joe,
When you crank the handle backwards and the anti-reverse catches try to turn it a little farther backwards and see if the bail will open automatically. I think it is supposed to open that way. Then crank it forwards and it should close. I'm working on trying to find out what part you're missing on the shaft/spool click deal. A guy I know over at AT's site just rehabbed an old 500 so hopefully I can get some info to help you out.
Here's the thread from our good friend Mr. Fred Oakes...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22539.0

John
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Joe, I assume there is nothing on the cover plate that you removed that would make contact?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Joe,

If you study Fred's pictures closely you can see that the 2 tabs sticking out on your reel are obviously in an incorrect position. Like I mentioned earlier, I think that piece/clip has flipped over and is out of position. Hopefully the third tab that rides against the ribs on the main shaft is back behind the bottom part of the oscillation guide and all it needs is to be repositioned to work correctly.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Chuck Gano »

i had that exact reel it came in a vinyl case with tools xtra spool & some paperwork,i cant remember exactly but it was made in usa,pretty sure that was on the paperwork, i do remember trying to get it back in the vinyl case was a trick
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Eureka! Due to all the efforts of all of you, I got it figured out (I think)!

The two tabs sticking up on my reel are just the remnants of that trident shaped "clicker" in Fred's photo! The middle part that is supposed to bump against the grooved piece on the shaft is broken off and gone! All that's left are the two tabs that were part of the whole piece that was riveted onto the slide! Look at the insert- picture that part broken at the red lines. What are you left with? Two tabs sticking up!

I got suspicious after reading the new replies and then looking real close at the tabs- they were of two slightly different heights and the ends were angled slightly different. Yup- tabs broken off from the main piece that provided the click. That broken off piece is gone. That part was made of spring steel which would not survive any bending. Some owner probably tried to adjust it and broke it right off, or as someone mentioned, it was just a serious design flaw!

Thank all of youn's for all the help! OK, I now have two broken reels from Ebay!

At least the old spinner I just picked up at the flea market works! And it labeled Bronson so I know for sure! Best--- JoeW

And PS- Tom, the bail DOES open if you bang the rotor backwards hard enough! Maybe a good idea, but very poor execution! Feels like the handle's going to break off!

Last edited by JoeW on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Good for you, Joe, or maybe not so much. At least you know what you need to put that ol' girl back in service again. :wink: Now the fun and challenging part begins :bash: , making a new spring clip and riveting onto the oscillation guide. :D

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

I still can't tell if what remains is broken, or if there is just a piece missing. I see those two tabs in Fred's picture, but I can't tell how they attach to the piece that is missing on your reel, Joe. They appear to be different metals, I wonder if the copper piece that is missing was designed to wear and be replaced? Looks like the missing piece might have two tabs of its own that go between the tabs present and the piece with the rivet. Do those two tabs spring back when depressed?
Sid Lehr
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

sdlehr wrote:I still can't tell if what remains is broken, or if there is just a piece missing. I see those two tabs in Fred's picture, but I can't tell how they attach to the piece that is missing on your reel, Joe. They appear to be different metals, I wonder if the copper piece that is missing was designed to wear and be replaced? Looks like the missing piece might have two tabs of its own that go between the tabs present and the piece with the rivet. Do those two tabs spring back when depressed?
The two "tabs" sticking up on the reel I have are what's left of that piece that clicked against the grooved part of the shaft. So, the clicking part was one piece, broken off to leave just those "tabs". With a glass, you could see how the tab's ends didn't match because they were broken, and they were at different angles. That clicking piece was riveted to the slide. I know the clicking piece was very brittle (I'm sure that's not the right word!) because... I went to bend one tab down and it snapped right off! What seems to be different metals in my pic and Fred's is because we used different lighting for the pics. I'm certain the "tabs" and the missing part were all one piece, and not copper, but rather a high tensile spring steel. Sooo, unless someone can pull a rivet and put a new one in with the new clicker, then it would be the whole slide that would have to be replaced to restore it. That must have been a nasty design flaw- that clickewr part just couldn't stand the useage.

Hope this explains it a little better? Best--- Joe W
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

OK Joe, in Fred's photo above you have red marks by the tabs, they don't appear to be the same metal (as the piece missing on your reel) to me, I guess it's the lighting. I've got a pop rivet gun, they're cheap and easy to use.... not sure if it would be strong enough though...
Sid Lehr
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Hi Sid- Take a look at the color of the slide itself on the two pics. Mine looks steel, Fred's looks coppery. Difference in lighting, I'm sure. Geez, it'd probably be easier to find a whole new slide rather than just a spare "clicker" part, don't you think? Eh, I like the reel, and it works, except for the drag clicking when line is taken out. Thanks for all the replies! Best--- JoeW
KeysReels
Frequent Board Poster

Post by KeysReels »

Joe,
Tommy is correct...this is an automatic reel and the bail flips open automatically. It also has a collapsible handle. I actually own the model of the reel before Sears started to sell it under the J.C Higgins name. I have the instruction manual, case and oil.
The company's name that made this reel is Controls Company of America A-P Controls Division. They were located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. This company was a division of
Soreng Controls a large company that I think is still making electronic controls.

The reel came out around 1956... I don't know when Sears started to sell it.

Here are some photos including the patent page.
Hope these help. Bill
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Wow, Bill, mystery solved!! Kudos to you and thanks for sharing! :bow:

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Strange, that the parts list for this reel already carries the Sears stock no. (537.31460), yet the reel itself isn't branded for Sears.
Mark
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Good observation, Mark. I didn't examine the paperwork that closely. Evidently the Sears/J.C. Higgins connection had already been consummated at that point.

This is the kind of stuff that keeps reel collecting interesting!

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Terrific info and great reel pkg there! All that helps give this reel a "stry to tell". Thank you for posting. Best--- JoeW