Question: JC Higgins Mod 500 spin reel...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Question: JC Higgins Mod 500 spin reel...

Post by JoeW »

Yea, I'm back with my weekly question. Picked this one up to add to my collection because I liked the design. Made by Bronson, I think?

Anyhow, is this reel supposed to have an anti-reverse on it? I can't find a switch or button. I pulled, pushed, turned, twisted, everything I could find but nothing! The A-R seems to be on all the time- It'd be odd not to be able to turn it off, wouldn't it?

Thanks in advance. Best-- JoeW

Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Question: JC Higgins Mod 500 spin reel...

Post by wrong99 »

Not made by Bronson. Maybe the A/R is broken. What's the On/Off switch in the back?
Mark
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Hi Mark-- that "Off" switch on the back is actually the "rear drag" adjustment. Turning the knob toward Off lightens the drag, the other way tightens it. AR is ON no matter what the drag setting is.

I just don't see anything that could be broken on the reel. I'm leaning toward the AR just being designed to be on all the time. There's also no click, or button to turn it on-off?

Not Bronson? Any clues anyone as to who did make it? I did not see "Japan" anywhere on it?

Hey- thanks for the reply, Mark. Best---- JoeW
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

No idea, but I'm sure Tom will chime in with an answer. The J.C. Higgins #500 shows up in Wright's book as being made in the 1960's, but no mention of a maker.
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

There are many spinning reels with AT all the time, no switch, so I wouldn't find it if at all. This reel model has caught my eye too, and I only have a handful of early spinners. A schematic would provide the definatibe answer as to how many at pawl(s) there are and where it/they are located on this model. Do you hear/feel the clickity-clack of the pawl near the handle arm or rotor when turning the crank?

John
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Hi John-- There's no clickety-clack when winding. Even the spool makes no noise when you strip out line. Must be a "stealth" reel? When you wind backwards, the rotor stops at the perfect spot for picking up line with your finger.
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

Probably just lubbed well, or dried goey grease slows it down, or too little travel, or spring pressure to make the noise. If the stops are in line with the rotor, rather then the handle the dog is likely on the pinion gear, rather then the main. Unless It's a 1:1 or 2:1 gear ratio, then it still could be either place. I suspect you have a single dog on an ar ratchet attached to the pinion, with no means of engaging it. Taking the reel apart would answer this question, and give you more insight into the other mysteries of its mechanisms. Also, might help with discovering who the manufacturer was. Finding a schematic for this one might prove challenging.

John
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I have no idea who made that reel for J.C. Higgins. I've never seen one like it sold by a different company, either, although Higgins also sold the model 400 which looked similar only black. They were both sold in the mid '60s. I doubt it was a trade type reel since there are no similar examples that I have ever seen sold by different companies. Interestingly enough, I don't have either of those models so I've never explored their inner workings.

There are a lot of older reels, and a few newer models, that have a locked anti-reverse. Langley/Zebco quickly come to mind. Here's a picture of a permanent or reoccurring A/R that functions by use of centrifugal force, gravity and a flip wire/spring. The “dog” is free moving with a notch in the middle of the outside edge and positioned on the back of the rotor cup so that when the reel/cup is in forward rotation it clears the stud located at the bottom center on the front of the body housing. On some models there's a small vinyl tab clinched into that notch. When the rotation is reversed centrifugal force or the trip wire flips the “dog” the opposite direction, and because the obstruction/stud is located at the bottom of the housing, gravity helps maintain the correct position until the “dog” comes in contact with the stud, stopping reverse rotation. There can be a varied amount of slack, which might be fairly large if the “dog” is far away from the stud, that will need to be recovered before the handle ceases reverse rotation. This type of A/R was used by Langley, Zebco, A & F and a few others with various modifications throughout the years.

Open yours up, Joe, and see what makes it tick, then share your finds with us in a few photos. That's what makes this such a fun and enjoyable hobby!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Hi Tom! I think I can confirm what you were concluding about the AR on that reel. It's not really an AR in the sense of a gear with a little "dog" (is that what it's called?) that sticks into it and clicks when not engaged. I kept cranking the handle backwards against the "stop" and noticed the bail "jumped" a little every time the stop was reached! And that the stopping point was very close to the "flip bail back over" spot when the bail was cocked! I figure, like you said, there's some kind of little "bump" inside the rotor that flips the bail back, and that same bump is what the rotor bumps against to stop any backward rotation. Sound good? LOL- how do you like my technical terminology!

And, sorry- I just can't take down a reel that's working OK. I just don't have the tools, for one thing. And as I mentioned before, when I try to put a reel back together, I either end up with parts left over or I end up short parts!

And my made by Bronson comment came from another website. Here's a link. You guys probably know OCAUTO? Link:
https://www.fishingtalks.us/blog-post/s ... kers-list/

Thanks for all the help and comments, everyone. And thanks for putting up with the rookie! Best--- JoeW
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Still not a Bronson reel, despite what the "list" says, but a very interesting one.
Mark
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

I know from collecting lures that one guy (or website or ref book!) can say one thing and five others will say five completely different things! I have a few long-standing "discussions" going on right now! As a newbie to reel collecting, I'll certainly bow humbly to those with a lot more experience.

Interestingly, my first thought was "Made in Japan", but there is no stamping or marking to indicate it as such. It's actually a strong, smooth running little reel. That rear drag is micro-adjustable, too! Like you said, very interesting reel- just what I like about the earlier spinners!

Best---- JoeW
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I'd like to see some evidence of the Bronson connection. I doubt very much that those models, 400 & 500, were made by Bronson since there's nothing I have seen that resembles anything that Bronson ever did with there spinning reels. I think they probably incorporated Record's rear drag idea with the European skirted spool design of that time frame, like Bretton's of France. Innards usually tell a little better tale of origin than external features. Someday we'll make a connection, but in the mean time, come on Joe, at least remove the three side plate screws and spool and give us a couple of photos of the mechanics. :D

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

OK- I gave it a try! Kept counting the screws to make sure there weren't any extra or one missing! Sweat running down my face, hands shaking, vision blurring up! (Oh, that has nothing to do with taking the plate off- I'm like that all the time!)

This show you anything?

How did all those sticks and brush get in there? Best--- JoeW

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Never seen anything quite like that oscillation guide, especially with the ridges. Is that main gear nylon?

EDIT: After thinking about that design for a little while, Joe, take a magnifying glass and see if you can find any evidence of a missing spring, part or tab in the vicinity of that ribbed area on the main shaft. Loosen the brake and turn the spool to see if that area spins, too. I'm thinking there's supposed to be some sort of tab or clip that rides against the ribs and makes the clicking sound when line is being taken out. It may have been attached to those 2 tabs on the oscillating guide.

Thanks for posting, Joe. :cool Now go take a ----. :jester Oh, BTW, if you have an extra screw it probably came off your furnace or AC. :wink:
Last edited by Midway Tommy D on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Nothing remotely like any reel ever made by Bronson. Al's list is in error. Because there is no equivalent in the regular Bronson line-up, it would be hard to imagine a factory like Bronson designing and re-tooling for a trade reel just for Sears. Joe, did you check out the Bronson website, particularly the "spinning" section of the site?
Mark
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Quick replies- going to BBQ this afternoon and PM.

Tom- main gear seems to be nylon, but not sure. And (LOL) I'm afraid to take the screws out of a reel- do you think I'd be taking them out of my AC or furnace? I'm strictly a hammer/nails, saw, and treated lumber guy!

Mark- sounds good to me. I agree, no one's going to go through all that effort to make one reel for one seller! I didn't check out the reel any further after seeing Al's list. Tried searching for "Bronson" but just came up with a bunch of Ebay ads. Got a link?

Thanks for all the great info gentlemen. I gotta mention how I think that rear drag works, too, but tomorrow. Best--- JoeW
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Joe, see my edit above.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Joe, the Bronson website link can be found under "Services" above. ORCA owns the website, so the link is right here.
http://www.bronsonreelphotos.com/
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

EDIT: After thinking about that design for a little while, Joe, take a magnifying glass and see if you can find any evidence of a missing spring, part or tab in the vicinity of that ribbed area on the main shaft. Loosen the brake and turn the spool to see if that area spins, too. I'm thinking there's supposed to be some sort of tab or clip that rides against the ribs and makes the clicking sound when line is being taken out. It may have been attached to those 2 tabs on the oscillating guide.

Yup- you were right, Tom! That little ribbed thing Does rotate when the spool is turned, but NOT when the reel is cranked. I don't see any litle tab or anything that would bang against the ribs and make it click, just those two odd little tabs that stick up. Can't imagine what they could have held, but must have been something, eh?

Dang, that's TWO reels now from Ebay that had a missing piece!

Picked up around 20 old reels at Flea Market this AM- gotta go sort through my loot! Thanks to all for your help and comments! Great place and great people here! Best--- JoeW

JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Hey! I got blacklisted from that JC Higgins site!

https://www.fishingtalks.us/blog-post/s ... kers-list/

Wha' hoppen? Someone didn't like me providing a reference to that site? I didn't even post anything there. Never had that happen before. Sorry if I wasn't supposed to make the reference but I had no way of knowing. Best--- JoeW
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

That seems mighty strange. :? Al's registered here and a regular contributor. Maybe it's a mistake or glitch, you should contact him and get it straightened out.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Hi Tom--- how do I contact him? I can't get on his site and don't know who he is. Email me contact info if you would. It looks like some service to prevent spamming blacklisted my IP address for reasons unknown to me. I'd like to get this straight. Thanks, Tom. Best--- JoeW
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

He's a member of ORCA and goes by the name OCauto. Just send him an email or PM.
Mark
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Thanks Mark- I just sent an email. Hope it doesn't get blacklisted. I'll delete all this after I figure out what's going on. Sorry for the distraction. Best--- JoeW
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Joe,
When you crank the handle backwards and the anti-reverse catches try to turn it a little farther backwards and see if the bail will open automatically. I think it is supposed to open that way. Then crank it forwards and it should close. A guy I know over at AT's site just rehabbed an old 500 and after looking at his parts broken down I think maybe your part has slipped out of place or possibly broken. Check the part with the 2 tabs that stick out on the oscillation guide and see if it has, or had, another tab in between those 2 on the back side. I think the 2 tabs need to be flipped down against the metal on the guide and the third tab should be wedged in between the guide and/or against the ribs so that it clicks when the main shaft turns.
Last edited by Midway Tommy D on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027