NEW Biography of Most Famous Fishing Reel in American History BOOK!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

NEW Biography of Most Famous Fishing Reel in American History BOOK!

Post by Teal »

Launched my new book at the NFLCC Nationals and now it's available to ship. "My Best Kentucky Reel: A Biography of the Most Famous Fishing Reel in American History" took me over 25 years to complete. It's a biographical history of the legendary Dr. Preston Scott/Joseph Jefferson/Grover Cleveland Kentucky reel. The background to this reel is fascinating.

When Joseph Jefferson, the most famous actor in America, passed away on April 23, 1905, he bequeathed his “favorite Kentucky reel” to his friend and fishing companion Grover Cleveland, twice president of the United States. When news of his gift reached the press, it became front page news. Over a thousand newspaper articles extolling the friendship between the two and the quality of Kentucky reels were published in America and Canada, as well as a pair of famous poems. But for years, the reel itself -- who made it and what model it was -- remained a mystery.

After 25 years of research, I have ascertained the identity of the Jefferson-Cleveland reel. Detailing the history of the reel back to its first owner Dr. Preston Scott to Joseph Jefferson to Grover Cleveland, it includes an angling history of these men as well as the reel’s maker, Benjamin F. Meek, and the man many thought had crafted it, Benjamin C. Milam. It also includes numerous period articles about the reel and its owners. It’s the definitive history of the most famous fishing reel in American history!

To order a copy click here:

https://whitefishpress.com/bookdetail.asp?book=234
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: NEW Biography of Most Famous Fishing Reel in American History BOOK!

Post by kyreels »

Well you say, how good can a book be about a single fishing reel? Was there ever any book about a single reel?

This was one of the most entertaining and enlightening books I have had the pleasure of reading. It is far more complex and multi-faceted than one would assume. It illustrates the pride and reverence that once accompanied the ownership of fine fishing reels, and also spins a complex story of mystery around the ownership changes. It is a pretty good foray into the politics of Kentucky reels, and shows how "false news" got made in the old days.

It is simply brilliant illustration of a BF Meek reel and the fine engineering that went into this unique example. In short, it has something for every collector on this board, and is especially recommended if you ever owned or wanted to own a Kentucky reel. I recommend it, and you will most certainly not be disappointed.

Good reading and tight lines,
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

+1
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Thank you for the kind words, Matt! It was a great shock to find the reel, and to hold it in my hands -- an amazing experience.

-- Dr. Todd
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Dr. Todd-- your prolific scholarship regarding our hobby is truly inspiring. Thanks from all of us collectors out there.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990