Garcia Mitchell 303 question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
busterboy
Frequent Board Poster

Garcia Mitchell 303 question

Post by busterboy »

I'm working on resurrecting a 303 I got off EBay recently. It has a 6-digit serial number and came with a 50s vintage manual. The anti-reverse lever moves but it does not engage the anti-reverse. I did discover that it has a broken cam ring, would that cause this problem or do I have more trouble-shooting to do?

Busterboy
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Garcia Mitchell 303 question

Post by Midway Tommy D »

More than likely it's old dried & hardened grease that's not allowing the spring to move the dog properly. First thing I'd do is clean out all the old grease, check the spring for proper position & tension and make sure the dog is moving freely as it should.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
busterboy
Frequent Board Poster

Post by busterboy »

Thanks for the input. The dog spring shown in the manual isn't the same one that is in the reel. I'm not sure how it should be placed.
Buster Cowton :usa
g,h. block
Advanced Board Poster

Post by g,h. block »

the round wire loop spring goes on this way.--- the small loop end goes on the top peg in that handle cover plate,the large loop is flat against the cover and goes down and around the post that the dog pivots on, the right angle bend end of that points straight at you and goes in the tiny hole of the dog as you now place the dog down on its pivot post.-----------you want the outside lever in the off position holding the dog out and the large gear and a.r. teeth should push right down to the plate. ---------- the broken, cam ring has nothing to do with the a.r., those pegs get broken off a lot on the ring. i would agree with tom that the hard grease in those can cause the dog to fail to function, the other likely failure would be the loop spring is broken or the small loop end is off the post.--------- the procedure for the 302 and 303 would be the same but not all the parts are interchangeable , the dog springs are different because the right angle bend is 180 degrees the other way. the cam rings and handle side plates are the same.