Ocean City Ike Walton Club 250

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Ocean City Ike Walton Club 250

Post by spadej1 »

So I went to the antique show in Bouckville yesterday and picked up a few nice items. One of which was a Ocean City Ike Walton Club 250yd reel. I couldn't find a lot of info from the Ocean City site, other than it came after the Dover Club in the 30's or so. Anyone know more about it?

EDIT: In reading the Ocean City site again I realize there is some good information in the ads about the function of the reel. I assume it sold well since they made them into the 50's.

I was also able to pick up a Pflueger Medalist 1496 with a round line guard and a Bronson Flylite. There was one other item of interest, but not a reel. I got a Heddon Black Beauty fly rod in pretty decent shape. Unfortunately I was too excited about finding a nice bamboo rod for an affordable price and didn't realize it was the heavy bass rod. All well, the reels made it worth it and if I decide to keep it all I can mount that Medalist on it for bass.

-James
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Ocean City Ike Walton Club 250

Post by john elder »

those early OC reels are gems that are under-appreciated...made of nickel silver, rather than plated and of really nice quality! There are about a half dozen models that are worth grabbing up, MHO!

that Black Beauty is on of the best from Heddon....certainly the top until you get to the #20 and above. ...and yes, I think all of that model were heavier bass rods.....at least I've never had a light one. Is yours and earlier one with spiral Heddon of the later straight line labeling? Maybe they didn't actually call the #17 a Black Beauty until the labeling was straight...can't recall....vary as to whether they had the orange tipping as well. Key is to find one that isn't broken somewhere/short tips....tough to do, especially in smaller than 9'!

Nice scores, James!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Thanks John. The OC seems solid NS, and is in pretty good shape with only one dent on the side and some spool corrosion. The Black Beauty #17 is a later one with the all black wraps and straight writing. I certainly did well for what I spent, even though my wallet doesn't feel that way!

-James
-James-
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

So I went to the antique show in Bouckville yesterday and picked up a few nice items. One of which was a Ocean City Ike Walton Club 250yd reel. I couldn't find a lot of info from the Ocean City site, other than it came after the Dover Club in the 30's or so. Anyone know more about it?
In the May, 2015 issue of the Reel News ( Volume XXV, No. 3) there is an article about the Ike Walton reel and how it evolved from the Dover Club model. They are great reels. If you decide to clean it you should know it has a welded frame. The rings, bars and stand do not come apart unless they are broken.

Reel on the left is the first version of the Ike Walton (fairly Rare). I believe it is a 1924 reel. The reel on the right is the late 1920's final Ike Walton standard reel that was the beginning of a long production run.

In the future, Ocean City used the Ike Walton name on many of its higher end designs. OC loved Izaak Walton.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Thanks for the info, Mike. That is helpful, as I plan to take it apart and clean it up. There was some very old line and it has seen some action, so the spool is pretty green. I would at least like to get that cleared up and then clean up the NS a bit. Should be pretty nice once I'm done, as it still spins better than some of my newer reels.

-James
-James-
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

They are great reels. Be careful with frame when you are cleaning it. You do not want it to fall apart. Sometimes welds separate with age.

Here are two frames. The condition of the pieces of the lower frame is what you want to avoid. As you can see, there are no fasteners holding this frame together. It is all fitted and either brazed or silver soldered.
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Yes I definitely want to avoid that! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

-James
-James-
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Yes I definitely want to avoid that! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
You are welcome. Good luck with the cleaning process. Would like to see the reel when you are done. Still do not know which Ike that you have.
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I'll post some pictures when I get it all cleaned up. It is the later model, like the one shown on the right in your picture above. Aside from a few dings around the edges, it should turn out pretty nice. I'm hoping the welds in the frame are sound so I don't run into any issues!

-James
-James-
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I was able to clean it up and polish a bit, so here are some before and after pics. It's not John Elder perfect, but it looks pretty good and spins like a dream!

-James-
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Back to life!! Great job!!
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I would be very happy with that rescue, James! Good show!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Nice transformation, James! Well done!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Very nice clean up. Late 1920's reels.
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Thanks but I can't take all the credit. It was actually in nice shape except for the spool and some scratches on the side plate. It turned out really nice though

-James
-James-
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Well done, James. Quite a transformation.
Sid Lehr
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Taking the verdigris off the spool saved that reel. Nice!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006