Mitchell reel handles

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
fxxxy
Frequent Board Poster

Mitchell reel handles

Post by fxxxy »

OK, I give up!! Can anyone tell me why some of my Mitchell convertible handles freeze up? You know, the ones that are able to turn the handle part away from or toward the reel body. I have some that look like mint, but refuse to release the handle stalk to make it possible to turn. They don't respond to force (broke one) or soaking in solvent. Is there a special method or did somebody glue them like that? Makes it impossible to sell without getting a whole new handle! Or is it just me?
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Mitchell reel handles

Post by spadej1 »

Hmmm. Are you talking about the spring loaded ones or the screw cap kind? I haven't had much trouble with the spring loaded ones, but I did just have a screw end handle that was stuck pretty good. I soaked it with oil for a few minutes and was able to get it free. I assume the same could work with spring handles too. If you've already tried that, maybe it might require a different lubricant or it could be glued. There are several posts comparing the benefits if different penetrating oils that you could check out. Hope that helps!

-James
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

This style of handle has anti-twist pins. You have to loosen the nut and pull the arm away from the pin slots in order for it to turn.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

It's caused by galvanic, AKA bimetal, corrosion where they haven't been worked or cleaned for a long period. Dissimilar metals touching causes corrosion, especially where water is involved. Remove the crank and remove the knob, then soak it in a 50/50 white vinegar/water solution for a day or two while working them and they should eventually loosen up. On stubborn cases I have had to let them soak in straight vinegar for at least 3 or 4 days. I figure they don't work so if something bad happens it's no big deal anyway. The only one I've had that didn't turn out fine was one I tried to strong arm into working and, therefore, broke it. :)
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027