Unusual Meisselbach Free Spool Mechanism

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Unusual Meisselbach Free Spool Mechanism

Post by wrong99 »

Anyone ever seen a free spool set-up like the one on the left, for a pre-1917 Meisselbach "Takapart"? The standard mechanism can be seen on the right. Prototype? Lunch box special? It's done clean enough to where it appears to have been done at the factory? Phil? Thanks in advance.
Mark

Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Unusual Meisselbach Free Spool Mechanism

Post by Roger Schulz »

If you have Phil's second book "More Meisselbach & Meisselbach-Catucci Fishing Reels" on pages 82 and 83 he shows a third version of the mechanism. The loop goes around the clutch mechanism and is attached to the screw on the main gear bridge. The loops encircle the clutch fit in a slot and grip the mechanism by spring tension.

Roger
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Thanks, Roger. Don't have the second book, but I'm surprised this is the first example I've seen, as I've handled hundreds.
Mark
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

I've only had two and got one of each type. I believe the one with the wire clip was made in Newark and the one screwed to the bridge is later and made in Elyria, although I could have that reversed. Will have to check.

-steve
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Meisselbach (and other companies) varied their springs a lot, probably depending on cost/parts availability/inspiration/other factors. Here are two click spring designs in two 1st-model Take-Aparts.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."