My pair of Ocean City 809's

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
DaveP
Big ORCA Fan

My pair of Ocean City 809's

Post by DaveP »

Hi,

I have 2 Ocean City 809 Reels on Sirocco R.A.B rods with roller tips.
They were on my grandfathers 1950's Egg Harbor boat. When the boat was sold i got the polls and have had them for years.

Looking for any info on these, can they still be used today? Anyone have a sense of their value?
Not really looking to part with them, but if the value was high i could be persuaded.

1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Re: My pair of Ocean City 809's

Post by 1badf350 »

I can't help with the value, but they're really cool to look at! Thanks for sharing.
-Chris R.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

They seem to be pretty well sought after by big game and Ocean City collectors, these being one of the harder to find models from that manufacturer. A pretty good looking pair. Been a while since I saw a price on one but I'd guess values to be in the "don't fish with them but sell them and buy some nice modern Shimano-type big game outfits with the proceeds" kind of range.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

DaveP, thanks for coming over from Facebook. I am sure a few folks that appreciate these cradle reel outfits will pipe up or contact you privately. I will tip off a few to look in case they missed this post.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

These are very cool. I bought a similar cradle reel/rod combo for $600 recently and spent $250 plus shipping both ways to restore (its on orca as well).... so in current condition i think $500-$600 each... maybe more since 809's? Can't tell size. But for sure cool to hang onto them if ya like them... I'll reach out to John T- who is more of an expert than me on these... (and thanks Paul M for sending Me the link). Good luck, daniel
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

These are great collectibles. Sure you could fish with them; but, because of their obsolete styles, modern equipment is far superior. The Model 809 is a size 9/0 reel, the rod tips are probably replacement tips, as originals were Montague; but, they will not lower the value too much. The fact that your combos still have the tips is very desirable. The tips look to be correct vintage. When Ocean City sold these cradle reels, they sold them with or without the rod tip, so your rod tips could be original to the rig; but, simply not original Ocean City equipment.

I agree with Dan Z. about value, probably $500+; but, you never know, put them on EBay and with the right motivated buyers, they could go higher. Here's some Ocean City info about the old rigs.

[timg] https://images.orcaonline.org/u/988/Figure%201.jpg[/timg]

Thank you for the link Paul.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
DaveP
Big ORCA Fan

Post by DaveP »

Thanks everyone for the info and insight!
DaveP
Big ORCA Fan

Post by DaveP »

Thanks Paul for the info on this site.