Four Bros. "Delite" Question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Four Bros. "Delite" Question

Post by wrong99 »

I'll go ahead and display my ignorance of fly reels here. Is the early Four Bros. "Delite" fly reel both a right AND left hand retrieve? Thanks in advance.
Mark
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: Four Bros. "Delite" Question

Post by Ron Mc »

Mark, my experience, the simple caliper clicker on the Delite will work either direction.
If it has a RHW bias, proper application of bending pliers can give it LHW bias.

Not quite the same on a Golden West or Hawkeye - the larger heavy-wire caliper wire springs on the high-grade reels have a definite RHW bias. I don't think it can be done on GW, but I did make a Hawkeye work in LHW for a friend, using bending pliers in about a dozen applications up and down the spring.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Thanks, Ron. I was hoping you'd chime in.
Mark
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

I use a 40 yd. Delite as right hand wind on a little bamboo trout rod. Needed the drag twice-14" smallie, 14" rainbow. Both took line away from me. Drag worked as designed. Fond memories!

Bad Bob
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

hey Bad Bob, here's my GW on a Leonard Fairy Catskill and a Rio Chama brown

One thing that's nice about the Delite, you can just slightly bend the feet to get proper tension on any sliding band reel seat.