Shimano Bantam 100 EX Expert Needed

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reeleyesn
Big ORCA Fan

Shimano Bantam 100 EX Expert Needed

Post by Reeleyesn »

I recently came across this reel from an estate auction. The reel seems to be in NOS condition but what puzzles me is that it is a shimano bantam 100 ex but it has the SG handle and also has a SG sticker on the sideplate. I have looked all over the internet and could not find any information about this reel. when it was made ?is it a transition reel? i know they were made between 1978 -1982 the exact year i am not certain. If anyone has any information or value on this reel it would greatly be appreciated. thinking i may have something that is pretty rare as i have not seen another one like it anywhere. Thanks

Dick Janak
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Shimano Bantam 100 EX Expert Needed

Post by Dick Janak »

Contact Tom Heerschop.............
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

When the Bantam 100EX first appeared in 1978 it had wooden crank knobs. In 1982 Shimano was pushing their Super Gear models and reintroduced the 100EX with super gears and paddle knobs. It was gone from Shimano catalogs in 1983, so the model only lasted one year. Several years ago on eBay this model in MIB condition was topping $200. Where it is now, I don't know.
If we concentrated on the really important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing tackle

Phil White
ORCA Honorary Life Member
Reeleyesn
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Reeleyesn »

Thank you Reel Geezer for the information. At least i know now what i have.