ashway reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Tony Mattingly
Big ORCA Fan

ashway reel

Post by Tony Mattingly »

need information on an ashway open face spinning reel like age ,parts schematics , when produced and ended or still in business
tony
SWIMJIG

Post by SWIMJIG »

:D :idea: :type: your Ashway reel shows Ashway Inc. westerly R. I. and sold for $22.50 However on the front of the drag knob it says OTCO and MFG. By Ohio TOOL Cleveland Ohio , the ashways I am looking at hass sn (A30203) and A 12854) the OTCO I am looking at has no sn. i ahve other ones however they are in boxes someware in these many piles of spinning reels, the ad I will sent you a copy of it if you will send a sellf addresed stamped envelope business size please, It tells about all there is to say. It was in the S. WEITZ & Co. Inc. Catalogeabout 1940 era, I can teel you they are a complicated reel to work on, as there are 2 special washers thats next to imposible to line up and yes they are nneded to make the reel work properly. Hope this sheads some lite on the mater, and yes there are several different sizes of them and some people around lake Eire still use them! Col. Milton Lorens aka SWIM JIG Address Is ( Col. Milton Lorens 759 Terra Lane Amherst Ohio 44001-1116-07 )
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Reel News Article

Post by Reel Geezer »

:idea: Ed Corwin wrote an article about these reels for The Reel News back about 5-6 years ago. You both might want to look it up.
Ben
Advanced Board Poster

ashway reel

Post by Ben »

The ashaway slip-cast was made by the Ohio Tool co. for the Ashaway Line and Twine co. they were introduced in 1948. the same reels were
also marked and sold as the OTCO by the ohio tool co. there were two sizes of these reels with the surf slip cast being the larger of the two sizes.
they were only made for a few years and were used on top of the rod.