Mitchell Ultra Lite 310 Question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Mitchell Ultra Lite 310 Question

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I have a Mitchell 310 ultra lite with the internal spool. Is there a way to keep the line from getting caught under the spool. I have seen some internal spool reels that have some type of fuzzy wrapping around the base of the spool to keep line from slipping under the spool, but the reel I have does not have anything to prevent it. Open to any suggestions.
Joe
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Mitchell Ultra Lite 310 Question

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The best way to prevent line from getting between the spool and rotor, and under the spool, is to keep your line tight. Excessive slack line is is the only reason line gets under a non-skirted spool. If you have enough clearance between the spool and rotor you could glue fine fly fishing chenille to the outside of the spool flange. FYI, ABU, Alcedo, Shakespeare, Zangi and a few others incorporated a groove in the spool flange for a chenille strip. The chenille did not prevent slack or loose line from getting behind the spool, especially if the line has memory coils. If it does have coils fasten it on one end to something solid and stretch the memory out of it.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
creekman
Big ORCA Fan

Post by creekman »

I fish with a an old 310, almost exclusively, when I wade local creeks for Redbreast Sunfish. (I use to use Mitchell 408's, but they are in my collection now!) I have found that if I keep light pressure on my line with my index finger, while retrieving, I very seldom, if ever, have line get caught under the spool. They are great creek wading reels, but my favorite is still the 408.
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

Another twist control method is to trail 50 or so ft behind your boat or down some Rapids . Then retrieve with steady pressure.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.