Tube Frame Casting Reel - Winchester? Hendryx? H-I?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Kevin McJunkin
Advanced Board Poster

Tube Frame Casting Reel - Winchester? Hendryx? H-I?

Post by Kevin McJunkin »

Hey guys and gals,

I have this unmarked tube frame casting reel, unmarked except for the underlined 80 on the foot. My first thought was that this was a Winchester 4250, but after consulting Phil White's Winchester Collector's Guide I found that this reel is smaller than the catalog excerpt shown. The Winchester 4250 has 2 inch disc diameter and 2 3/8 inch pillars, and weighs about 10 1/2 oz. My reel has diameter of about 1 7/8" and pillars of about 1 5/8" and weighs 7.5 ounces. Also noticed that the Winchester has a double knobbed crank and mine has a counterbalanced crank that looks a lot like a Hendryx (of course, it could be a replacement). It looks like a take apart reel but I wasn't able to get it apart. I also read that Horrocks-Ibbotson put underlined markings on reels after their purchase of Winchester and that Winchester didn't make reels without model numbers, although Phil says that a lot of the Winchester 4250's are unmarked. He also said there was an earlier version held together by detent pins on the head plate rim. I do see one spot that could be a pin (see last thumbnail). Was the earlier version smaller? Thanks for any input you may have.

- Kevin

scottorock
Super Board Poster

Re: Tube Frame Casting Reel - Winchester? Hendryx? H-I?

Post by scottorock »

Def looks like replaced crank. Hendryx like you mentioned or JVH. The angled machining/knurling on the counter balance differs from the rest of reel. Man, it looks like a "take apart" reel. Do you think the crank in that position was intended for LH use?
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

It could be like a Meisselbach, where you can set the crank to four different positions. Winchester, Hendryx and H-I all had reels with underlined yardage marks. Sure looks Winchester to me.
Mark
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

On some tube reels the tail plate is reverse thread.
-steve
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

and of course Winchester purchased Hendryx in 1919 to enter the tackle market.
Winchester also sold trade reels to keep the former bird-cage works busy and profitable.
Handle sure looks Hendryx to me, and the knurling on the frame tells me they were made for each other.
I think your reel was made by Winchester as a trade reel between 1919 and 1932.
Kevin McJunkin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kevin McJunkin »

I tried loosening the tail plate by gripping it with a rubber jar lid opener and twisting it both ways (in case it is reverse threaded) but it wouldn't budge. Sure would like to get it apart to see if you can set the crank at different positions like I've also seen on Meisselbach Takapart reels. Thanks for the comments. Hoping Phil weighs in.
Kevin McJunkin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kevin McJunkin »

Ok, I figured out how to take the reel apart, and it is very much like Phil White said in his description of the Winchester 4250. You simply take off the front bearing cap and pull it off, no twisting. It is held in place by a detent pin, so I think it is an earlier model of the Winchester 4250. There are three notches for the detent pin, so you can adjust the position of the handle. I was also able to take the tail plate off by removing the 3 screws (duh!) - again, no twisting.

Kevin