Maker of this California reel??

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Maker of this California reel??

Post by m3040c »

A Friend of mine picked this up at a garage sale for $5.00. He asked me to ID it for him but I am not sure of the original maker or when it was made. The bottom of the stand is stamped with the number "200"..

Thanks in advance for any help...

Anyone here recognize this reel?

mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Re: Maker of this California reel??

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

A lot of similarities to Four Bros. SUMCO.
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

A lot of similarities to Four Bros. SUMCO
I was thinking Pflueger or Montague. Maybe even a Yale: but, I am not sure.

Thanks.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

The Four Brothers was a Pflueger Reel so that would fit.
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I've got a couple and have always blamed Montague. seems there was a dialogue about these not long ago.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I've got a couple and have always blamed Montague. seems there was a dialogue about these not long ago.
John, you opinion sent me looking through some of my old books. So far, the closest I came to ID-ing this was in the 1928 Montague catalog.

It is not a 100% match; but, the style of the tail plate, free spool lever, thumb stall, size and similarity in model naming is perfect. The head plate is different. So, at this point, I lean toward Montague. Would love to make a straight match; but, I guess with the amount of product that Montague and Pflueger put out there, that may be impossible.

Good direction so far. Thanks for the input from the Johns.............
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

What's the foot look like?
Mark
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

What's the foot look like?
Sorry, never got a photo of the stand. I know that can make a difference. Only know that it had a 200 stamped into it.

I will ask the guy that sent me the photos if he remembers the style of the stand.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I just went through my reels and discovered my California reels have left the building, but here's a shot of the catalina... very similar except for the all-metal construction on the California...knurling and mechanics appear the same

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Mike, here's the California reel in a 1926 Kimball Catalog from Tacoma, Washington. No attribution, but still think Montague made it. Strong feeling of deja vu here... we've done this before:
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Mike, here's the California reel in a 1926 Kimball Catalog from Tacoma, Washington. No attribution, but still think Montague made it. Strong feeling of deja vu here... we've done this before:
That is great!! Thanks. Now we have an idea of time and origins. The stand on the California reel in that 1926 catalog certainly looks Montague. I sent a text to the person that asked me about the reel asking him what style stand the reel has, now I am waiting for him to get back to me.

I do not remember this particular reel in any other post; but, I usually do not remember what I had for breakfast, so I am not the person to depend on for memory insights.

Thanks for the help.......... :)
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Could not find a discussion of the Californian but did find where I had used this same catalog to chase down the Water Witch and others...great resource!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Could not find a discussion of the Californian but did find where I had used this same catalog to chase down the Water Witch and others...great resource!
Agreed, that is a great resource. I finally got a good view of the stand. I would say it removes all doubt that it is a Montague.

Value about $35.00?

Thank you very much for all the help.