Seeing past Photobucket Hotlink block

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Seeing past Photobucket Hotlink block

Post by Ron Mc »

This might be worth a sticky.
Unless the OP deleted their photobucket account, every old photobucket image is still linked on this website (and every other place on the internet). Photobucket has chosen to show you a block image instead of the original image.

There are Free Add-Ons available for both Chrome and Firefox, which will let you choose to see the original photo instead of the "ransom block" image, both on this bulletin board and every other internet website.

For Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... aedg?hl=en

for Firefox - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ket-fixer/

After installing my add-on, I checked my !st Model Pflueger Supreme takedown thread, and I can see every photo
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11836
And of course, I can also see everyone else's old photobucket images in context on every thread and every website.

Uploading the patch, you're not doing photobucket any favors, giving them any money, agreeing with them - all you're doing is restoring your old knowledge base to where it was before the photobucket ransom

If you want to remove the add on later, go to Extensions, or with Chrome, just right-click on your toolbar.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Re: Seeing past Photobucket Hotlink block

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Worked like a charm - Thanks Ron!
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

You're welcome Jim, but it's Pete Stiles who gets the credit for bringing this up on FFR.
What I have learned is you can't use as a link to directly upload photos to a server, such as the one for Reel Talk.
The hotlink won't work.
But, you can download your photobucket file (right-click, save image as) to you desktop or a folder, and then upload that file to here from your computer.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I use a bunch of Firefox add-ons, but recently, a lot of them seek disturbing permissions before you can install them.

I won't be adding any add-ons that require these permissions until I learn exactly what they mean and why they're "necessary."

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

Everyone these days need a Sacrificial computer or 2 for things just like this
Least that's what the Voices in My Head are saying .
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

doesn't apply to this one, no additional permissions required - if it can't get to the websites/tabs you're reading, it won't do anything. It's the Only Add-on I'm running on Firefox.
On Chrome, I'm running 3, this one, ABP (Ad blocker plus) and Adobe pdf reader.

I don't run a bunch of Add-ons, have been through all the ones that were there, and removed or disabled them. I don't allow firefox updates to add any. I disabled Shockwave because it is so susceptible to malware.
I have Firefox set up as my default browser for linking to my subscriptions (Malwarebytes, Security Essentials). I don't need to have this on firefox, and can easily disable/remove it. I downloaded it to see how it worked, and it works fine.

I use Chrome for entertainment browsing and searching/linking to work-related technical articles.
If you run two browsers and keep them clean, that's as good as having 2 computers.

I sort all my mail on webmail and only download mail to my computer that I plan to file and store (receipts for bills paid and essential communications). Some essential communications I copy and file in webmail folders so I can access them from my phone.
I run the tightest, cleanest ship around.

I think I offended a friend a couple of weeks ago when I asked him to take me off his random e-mail forward list because I didn't want to have to block him.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Ad blocker programs work - every time I open Photobucket, ABP blocks 64 ads.
I still use photobucket as a photo database, because it's easier to sort through a couple of thousand well-organized photos there than the 15 years' worth on my hard drives. (I know, I went through all the hard drives recently to give my daughter a 128Gb Lightning drive with every photo of our activities from her childhood, so she could have them, too, and view them on her phone).

Ad blocker programs are what actually cost Photobucket their source of income and drove them to their silly-extreme subscription demand.

But the way I see that (and I told them in my still-open service ticket), they have 15 years' data on me, and know my exact bandwidth usage. I used to be able to read it there myself when it was a $12/year then $24/year subscription (I let it lapse when they doubled that). I would be happy to pay a subscription based on my actual bandwidth usage.
As it is now, I still get everything I want from them gratis, including my bandwidth.
If I want to find an original high-res photo on my hard drive, I find it first on photobucket, then search the file name to find it on my hard drive.
If I want to post a photo, I download it as I described above, and upload it to Imgur (ABP only has to block 5 ads on Imgur).
smoking lamp is lit
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Ron you are a scholar and a gentleman. Just found this and my 8+ year blog (5000 articles) is back in action! Thanks!

-- Dr. Todd
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I wish I could take credit for it professor, but I think jhuskey introduced it first on FFR and I found it in a post by friend and neighbor Pete Stiles.
I have done my best to spread the word.
It sure beats wrist-slitting and badmouthing photobucket.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Just a little side note, if the individual/computer viewing those images hasn't installed the add-on to their computer they still only see the blocked image. The general public without an add-on only sees the sign.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027