Silent Spin Flyte

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
BrownTrout
Big ORCA Fan

Silent Spin Flyte

Post by BrownTrout »

Hello ORCA - I acquired a bundle of vintage rods and reels and am sorting through it all. One item I have questions about is an old Silent Spin Flyte. While its a cool looking reel and seems to be in sound mechanical shape, I would ultimately like to sell this reel and would like to know:

1) should I continue to try and clean the grease from the exterior of the reel?
2) What is a reasonable starting price?
3) Is there somewhere better than Ebay to sell this type of item?

I've used rubbing alcohol to clean the reel to this point and it has been going slowly. I will continue if anyone thinks there is value in cleaning the reel before selling (please also recommend a solvent).

Thank you.
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Silent Spin Flyte

Post by jimbofish »

You can move up a step to denatured alcohol, naphtha (lighter fluid), or mineral spirits. If you don't have these around, try a household de-greaser like Greased Lightning, Simple Green, Lestoil. Really dried old grease may need soaking to remove.
"We'll take the car and drive all night. We'll get drunk. We'll go fishing and stay away until she's gone"
BrownTrout
Big ORCA Fan

Post by BrownTrout »

Thanks Jimbo. I'll give those other options a try. The rubbing alcohol is certainly slow going.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Be careful with Simple Green and some of the stronger degreasers. They have been known to occasionally eat the paint off. Original white GOOP hand cleaner (without pumice) will easily take off any amount of old dried grease without damage to any parts of the reel.

Reel value should be around $25 - $40 max in new to ex condition.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Midway Tommy D wrote:Be careful with Simple Green and some of the stronger degreasers.
Also be careful with the organic solvents; use them outdoors or covered with good ventilation. Of those mentioned, mineral spirits (it comes in low odor formulation) is the least hazardous and is what I use mostly, with Naphtha a back-up for smaller parts/when I'm in a little bit of a hurry. The alcohols are too polar to be good for grease in a reasonable amount of time, and the best solvents are either too hazardous biologically, or are too flammable to keep around.... Naphtha is essentially gasoline without the additives....
Sid Lehr
BrownTrout
Big ORCA Fan

Post by BrownTrout »

Thanks all for the suggestions. I do appreciate it.