Need some reel ID help

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Need some reel ID help

Post by spadej1 »

Ok, I haven't had one of these in a while, so here goes! I picked this one up recently and am pretty sure its a JVH. I have the new book on JVH reels and can't find this one anywhere. A few close calls on a few, but no match. The ratcheting handle is almost certainly his, and it seems to be solid GS. Very nice coin edges on the end caps. Its in good shape save some etching in the HR. There is no hole in the foot, but that doesn't mean much. I'm sure this is an easy one for you experts, but I don't have a lot of Vom Hofe experience. Then again, maybe it's a Montague ;)

-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Need some reel ID help

Post by Brian F. »

I'm not an expert but it looks a lot like an early Pflueger to me. They also used the ratcheting handle nut keeper.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Yes that is another possibility. Lots of similarities to the reels in this thread:
http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopi ... eel#p77332

The orientation of the click/screws and foot isn't the same but thats pretty close. I'm a little leary of opening it up at this point, but I imagine there could be the Pflueger witness marks inside. Maybe if I get some time and some courage I'll look at it. Thanks for the help!
-James-
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I'm with Brian . Pflueger-ish foot and handle. Montague would second choice with JVH third, MHO.

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Will do some careful checking and get back on this one. Not immediately convinced but why argue with Brian and the Dekemeister?

Bad Bob
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I wasn't dreaming of arguing! I will have to check the gear when I have a chance. That should at least help narrow it to a maker. If you think of anything relevant I'd love to hear it.
-James-
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Checked all my old Pflueger SW reels, all of the catalogs to 1916. Could not match the combination of features of your reel with any of them. The crank is ok. Two screw faceplate for gear system mount is doubtful (most three) but still possible (some do have two). Style of click button questionable (pin in center), but some have this style. Foot very questionable. ALL solid style Pflueger SW feet I checked having the other similar features of your reel had semi-circle cutouts at end (or three holes). Bearing cap style? Pflueger had a bunch. Two screws on face plate are in correct position as are the pins for the click spring. Still.......Right back where we started! I vote non-Pflueger for the sake of having someone prove me wrong. The only answer may be disassembly as you point out. Good luck!

Bad Bob
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Wow fantastic sleuthing! Thank you for the effort. I did take a deep breath and start to open it up. Unfortunately one of the screws is a bit tight and slightly marked up already and I can't get it without buggering it up. I ordered some new bits that I will have to file down to fit better. From what I could see of the drive gear under the mount there are no witness marks. I did not have a good view and can't verify that for sure though. When I can get into it better I'll update things here. I guess we're back to Montague and JVH until someone else has more to add. Here I thought this would be an easy one!
-James-
BILL HOERTER
Frequent Board Poster

Post by BILL HOERTER »

Your reel is definitely a Montague & one of the nicest early models that they made.
The foot on your reel has been filed down I am sure to fit the rod seat that the owner had. Hope this helps & you enjoy owning a nice old antique Montague reel & you find a nice old Pflueger reel to display beside it & then you will enjoy knowing the differences between the two. Bill Hoerter
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Thank you! In looking into it further, there were many Montague aspects so that was where I was leaning. This confirms it. I knew it was a nice one either way so I had to have it. The foot is a bit of a shame but it isn't so obvious in person. I'll get it cleaned up one of these days and it will have to wait for a Pflueger partner to come along.
-James-
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I was satisfied with Bill's identification, but since I got my new screwdriver bits I thought I would open it up and check the gear. That last screw was tough but I was able to get it without doing too much damage. As expected, there were no witness marks. Very simple inside, which I suppose I also expected.

-James-