Shakespeare Date Codes

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Shakespeare Date Codes

Post by OCauto »

From the late twenties until the late seventies, Shakespeare reels had a two letter date code stamped on the reel, usually near the model number. These date codes were not a part of the model number, but a way of tracking changes to the reel over time.
Let’s use the Shakespeare model 1920 Wondereel as an example. There are several different date codes for this reel. The first is HB and if you look at the chart below you will find the H falls under the 3 and the B falls under the 9 meaning this reel started production in 1939. The next date code for the same reel is GA, which was produced in 1940. The next date is GE, which was produced in 1946. This also tells us the model GA was produced from 1940 thru 1945.
The next date code for the Shakespeare model 1920 Wondereel is FK telling us it started production in 1951. Meanwhile, the model GE was in production from 1946 thru 1950. Then again, there was another date code FH, which correlates to 1953.
So, as you can tell, just because the date code is a certain year, it doesn’t mean the reel was built in that particular year. It means that year was the start of production.
Another good example of this is the Shakespeare model 1740 Tournament HE. Production on this model began in 1936 and the next change was FK in 1951. For fifteen years, this reel was produced without change yet many think the reel was made in 1936, when it could have been made at any time over the fifteen year period starting in 1936.
Shakespeare Reel Series Dating Formula
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
K J H G F E D C B A
V U T S R Q P N M L
Al Stover
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Date Codes

Post by john elder »

Please note, the information reported above was lifted directly from the blog of "Flyguy", Russell Strauchman...thank you, Russelll!

http://www.fishingtalks.com/shakespeare ... s-785.html
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

they had a different code for rods
http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/ ... hakespeare
Shakespeare Rod Date Codes
Most Shakespeare glass rods were marked with a three-letter code indicating the date of manufacture. This date code was either stenciled on the blank near the model identification number, or stamped on the reel seat. The first two letters in the code indicate the year while the third letter indicates the month.

Each of the first two letters is translated to a numerical digit per the following table:

Date code key part 1: letters to year digits
K J H G F E D C B A
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

These two digits, when prefixed with '19', indicate the year of manufacture. For example, from the date code 'EJF', we take the first two letters 'EJ' and translate these to '62' using the preceding table. This results in the year '1962'.

The third letter in the date code indicates the month, per the following table:

Date code key part 2: letters to month
K J H G F E D C B A L M
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

This is really great information, thanks everyone that produced and posted it. I don't recall ever seeing this in my 50 reference books. We need to find a way to capture this (type of) info in a reference area, even though you can search this site for it, sometimes that involves parsing a lot of info.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Or perhaps someone will finally write the comprehensive "bible" on Shakespeare reels. Should be an easy project. Ha!
Mark

Note: I believe Shakespeare's use of date codes didn't start until the early 30's? I've never seen a date code from the 20's.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19