Vintage wood/glass display cases

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Vintage wood/glass display cases

Post by Mike N »

I’m always on the lookout for antique wooden table top display cases to showcase reels or decoys, etc. Last week in a little antique store in Canonsburg, PA (hometown of singers Perry Como and Bobby Vinton), I found this circa 1930 bread case picked from a bakery in Apollo, PA. It had the original wooden slatted shelves and a screen vent in the top of the door. You could almost smell the hot loaves for sale. As they say, “try to find another one.” So, I bought it for $300.

These photos are after a little lemon oil furniture polish and windex glass cleaner. I intend to get a few pieces of clear glass to put over the slats so eventually it can hold vintage fishing reels.

And yes, I made the the birch coffee table it’s sitting on.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Vintage wood/glass display cases

Post by kyreels »

I like it, nice work! Good ideas and inspirations.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Nice find, Mike.
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

my buddy's MIL is a pack rat - every building at her ranch is filled with antique furniture collecting brown recluse spiders.
Their inherited house in town was the same way, and the pieces they kept have so many gorgeous curios and apothecaries that are perfectly reel-deep with glass faces.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ha! maybe you just help ID this cabinet I found and reno'd a couple years ago!

I put a lazy susan platform under it so I could give a spin to show different reels

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

John— that’s a beautiful case to display reels. The vent on the top of the door is almost identical so it would likely be for baked goods. Thanks for posting the photos.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990