PENN Reel ID needed

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
$$$$robert
Frequent Board Poster

PENN Reel ID needed

Post by $$$$robert »

I need a penn reel id'ed that I want to get a new side plate and the cylinder that goes in the handle side that the star drag pushes down to tighten. Reel runs very smooth I would like to restore.
Here is picture trail like to pictures. It is 3 1/4" in diameter and it is 2 1/4" wide.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24788007

Thanks, Robert
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Re: PENN Reel ID needed

Post by Wayne B. »

Robert...I am traveling right now so I can't make an accurate ID. My guess is it is a late 1950's/early 1960's Penn 185. The best thing to do (IMHO) is to buy one as a donor reel on ebay. A complete one will be much less expensive than trying to find parts for your reel.
Last edited by Wayne B. on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Looks like a 1950's Long Beach to me because of the beauty ring on the head plate. The spacing sleeve will be easy. If you need to replace the side plate you might as well get another reel. It looks like the eccentric lever may have chipped off a piece of bakelite inside.
https://store.scottsbt.com/PennParts/Re ... Beach.aspx
-steve
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

I agree with Steve, I also thought it was a Longbeach, most likely a 65, but the 60 and 65 both used the same size tail plate. I might have one if you need one. I think that tail plate is a replacement for the original that had a 60 or 65 molded in.
Sid Lehr
$$$$robert
Frequent Board Poster

Post by $$$$robert »

Thanks for the info. I will check ebay for a parts reel. If anyone has the parts I need, shoot me a price.
Thanks, Robert
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Thanks for the info. I will check ebay for a parts reel. If anyone has the parts I need, shoot me a price.
Thanks, Robert
Robert,

The reel you have is a parts reel. Look for a nice vintage Long Beach that is complete. The one you have is a very mixed up product. Head plate is a Long Beach, 1960's probably, tail plate is a old 1940's & 50's or so. What you have looks like what the reel rental places do to reels. I would strip the one you have and look for a correct one from the 1950's. They are available on EBay at more affordable prices than you buying the parts you would need to make yours whole again.

Reels like this usually only get repaired if they have sentimental value of some kind. Like if it was your father's reel or something like that.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

m3040c wrote:
Thanks, Robert
Robert,

The reel you have is a parts reel. Look for a nice vintage Long Beach that is complete. The one you have is a very mixed up product. Head plate is a Long Beach, 1960's probably, tail plate is a old 1940's & 50's or so. What you have looks like what the reel rental places do to reels. I would strip the one you have and look for a correct one from the 1950's. They are available on EBay at more affordable prices than you buying the parts you would need to make yours whole again.

Reels like this usually only get repaired if they have sentimental value of some kind. Like if it was your father's reel or something like that.
X2

John
$$$$robert
Frequent Board Poster

Post by $$$$robert »

Thanks again.
Robert