Let's see Tournament Modified or Competition reels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Re: Let's see Tournament Modified or Competition reels

Post by colby sorrells »

Matt,
The 22143 was one of the few reels I've ever found that was sold with the small size handle. Shakespeare catalog page shown. Please note it is a non-free spool reel.

It was the start of Shakespeare's long line of narrow spool tournament casting reels.

Colby
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Whoops. I see there were two models, the narrow spool with the short handle is 22143, I will correct my post. Can you confirm that is a 1927 catalog, or is it other year?
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Matt,
1927. The 1926 catalog shows the "regular" size spool 23043 but does not show the narrow spool 22143. Colby
Clay
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Clay »

I purchased this Horton No.33 Bluegrass Simplex a couple weeks ago to use for parts. The gears were grinding, so I opened it up and discovered why. An aluminum spool had been installed, with a balsa spool and holes drilled to reduce weight and inertial forces. When the crank is pushed in, the reel retrieves normally. When the crank in pulled an 1/8 inch out, the gears disengage, turning the reel into a freespool. Now I just need to call up Horton Manufacturing and see if they can sell me some jeweled bearings for the reel, haha.
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Horton made a legit free spool model too. It's a great little reel. I would use it all the time if the gear ratio was a bit higher.

-steve
Clay
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Clay »

Steve, your pic of the No.34 made me curious, so I checked mine out. Neat little clutch system. Kind of the same principle as Catucci's clutches on Meisselbachs, except it's in the gearing assembly instead of inside the spool. I haven't cast the 33 yet, but plan to as soon as it stops raining.
Clay
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Clay »

Matt,
I think you're right about the wood and aluminum spools on the Kentucky reels. I haven't weighed them, but I'm betting the balsa would weigh less than an equivalent amount of line, thus reducing the inertia or momentum. Additionally, the balsa kept the spool diameter large, and the larger the diameter, the more line comes off with each revolution of the spool.
The three knob (vs 1 or 2) crank handle may have been an attempt to balance or smooth out the inertial rotational force (torque?) the crank exerted on the drive train and spool. I'm not sure how much actual effect it would have- a slight spool imbalance would more than outweight any balance gains on the crank. But even so, it looks cool.
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Clay,
Thanks for the photos. Looks like a tournament caster decided to reduce the spool weight. Interesting how random the holes are drilled. Thanks for posting. Colby
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

This one was a pleasant surprise received in a lot a few years back. Discussions with others seem to confirm this is based on a Talbot based platform with serial number but no makers mark. Spool looks very similar to a Meek posted earlier, as well as others in this post, and has what appears to be speed balance machining that cannot be seen unless disassembled. The builder removed the clicker and covered with a very nice N/S cover plate. Extended spool shaft on either side of reel is kind of unique with some type of mineral or glass under each the brass caps. Spool has a 1/16" high lip and was loaded with ridiculously thin thread line that disintegrated when removed (silk?). It made 8/0 fly tying thread look like rope. Reel can be put into free spool by pulling out the handle (see photo).

joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

The 1744 I sold to Matt on Ebay was a nice reel I thought. The marbelized tiny handle was unusal. I may as well play a little in this thread too. Here is a reel that I like which apparently was used as a tournament. 50 Yd Shakespeare Standard Professional 1910.
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Low Profile,
Great little reel. I especially like seeing that custom spool. Tournament casters only used enough line to make the cast and that shallow spool fits the bill. Fun reel. Thanks for posting. Colby
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Joe,
Great little Shakespeare reel in unbelievable condition. No doubt some old time tournament caster's pride and joy. Thanks for posting. Colby
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Thanks Colby. I've owned it for quite a few years.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Here are few more Hortons that fit into this topic. Pic quality is not great because I just snapped them in the case with my phone, but you get the idea!

Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Wonderful reels across the board Bill. Thanks for posting. Colby
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Bill- if that photo was wallpaper, I’d cover my man cave walls with it. Nice composition.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I'll admit it's tough following Bill. Anyway, here's a little B.F. Meek & Sons Tournament group that's been together for quite some time. The serial numbers match for the reel and guarantee/coupon. The additional handle could be the original? I'm not familiar with the handle information found on the bottom of the box. Nice little No.2, in very lightly used condition.
Mark

kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Fantastic example, thanks for posting. I have the seemingly exact same handle on a No 3 freespool, was wondering if it was factory option.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Mark- that’s the best example of a Meek No. 2 box I have ever seen with the reel. Wow.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Anyone have an idea of the year on these? Thanks.
Mark
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

wrong99 wrote:Anyone have an idea of the year on these? Thanks.
Mark
Not sure I can catch that entire serial number on the coupon tag, but I’d estimate 1910. Meek & Sons was sold to Horton in 1916.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Serial #3701.
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Really nice Mark
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

I'll admit it's tough following Bill.
You guys are burying Bill with these incredible pieces! Thanks for sharing Mark. If you ever decide to relocate that Meek No. 2, I can give it a good home! :fished
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Just got back from the Milwaukee NFLCC show. First, a plug to Chris Slusar, John Collen, Larry and the Milwaukee team, they consistently put on one of the best shows in the country.

Warren Platt was my favorite person at this show! Warren contacted me several weeks before the show when he had the opportunity to buy a collection of tournament casting reels from a family in the Kansas City area, to get an idea on the value of the Horton reels they had. After he bought the collection, Warren and I talked again and we went through the details on each reel. Warren informed me that there was a Meek No. 7 free spool in the group - I have never seen or heard of a free spool No. 7, so I asked if he could hold that one for me (I think my exact words were, "Warren, I want that reel.").

I got to Milwaukee on Wednesday evening, and on Thursday morning my hotel room phone rang. In his unique deep and sultry tone, Warren said, "You have 10 minutes to get to room 240." I was there in less than two. Warren opened up the case that housed the reels, and I decided in the first 30 seconds that I wanted all the Hortons. Each is unique. The two No. 3's and the wide spool No. 2 are in constant free spool, and the caster has to push the handle in to retrieve the casting plug. They are PERFECTLY balanced and sport magnesium spools. When you spin the handle, you can set the reel down and just watch the spool effortlessly spin for nearly 30 seconds.

The No. 7 and narrow spool No. 2 sport the Medley patent clutch, and the Blue Grass No. 34 was special ordered with no top post so as to eliminate the chance that the line might catch it during the cast.

The seventh reel is a Talbot Star that also features the constant free spool design. Warren sold the Star to Jack Looney, but then Jack and I later worked out a trade to return it to its cousins. I can't remember the last time that I added this many reels to my collection at once.

Thanks again to Warren for the opportunity to add these reels to my collection, and enjoy the tournament reel pics!