9/0 LA Coxe "No-Screw"

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

9/0 LA Coxe "No-Screw"

Post by Deepfins791 »

I purchased this 9/0 no-screw LA Coxe reel from a fellow ORCA member while traveling around the country last month. I finally got around to taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning/re-lube. The concept is genius. You unscrew the cap on the backplate, and the whole reel completely breaks down. The only screws on the reel are the ones holding the reel foot inside the frame. Does anyone know where in the evolution of LA Coxe reels, this particular reel falls? Earlier? Later? Anyone ever see a no-screw LA Coxe reel smaller than 9/0?

Thanks,
John

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: 9/0 LA Coxe "No-Screw"

Post by john elder »

John, in talking with Michael Farrior, he indicated the Coxe started playing around with the quick takapart style reel in the teens, but I'm not sure how many he made before the move to Bronson, where all the reels were made in that style. I have a 9/0 similar to yours from LA..in fact, two, but also have a 4/0 LA reel in the "no-screw" style. I'm guessing it was the prototype used for the Bronson reels, but was all NS...no plating.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures