Early tarpon reels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
TampaTarpon
Frequent Board Poster

Early tarpon reels

Post by TampaTarpon »

Reel experts:

What might fit these descriptions of suggested reels for tarpon in the late 1800s?

“A large multiplying reel that will hold comfortably 200 yards of line, and is furnished with a click that can be turned on and off at will.” Robert Grant Tarpon Fishing in Florida 1889.

“He had a reel made of rubber and white metal to hold 1200 feet of twenty-one thread line, without gearing. It had a square handle and was 5 1/8 inches in diameter and 2 3/16 inches wide in the clear.” From an account of W. H. Woods first tarpon taken on rod and reel in 1885.

I’m looking to find a few nice examples of late 1800s to very early 1900s reels (and rods) that might have been used in the early days of tarpon fishing in SW Florida.

Thanks.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Early tarpon reels

Post by john elder »

Welcome to the board!

I would think this Julius Vom Hofe reel that I posted about yesterday would certainly serve for the first reel:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20612

the second one is a question mark for me. It must have been a Fortuna-style reel to have that capacity and no gearing, but that time frame is too early. They were still using wooden single action reels at that time, but that doesn't fit the description. Maybe I'm missing something...that would not be a first!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
TampaTarpon
Frequent Board Poster

Post by TampaTarpon »

Thanks John. The second description is second hand and several years after the feat. I can’t find a first hand descriptiin of Mr. Wood’s reel after much reading.

The B Ocean you mention in the other post is often referred to in later writings. When was it introduced?

Thanks

Matt
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

The B Ocean would have first been produced around 1914 and basically ushered in the the era of the star drag, which saved many fingers! Drag is attributed to Bill Boschen, who, the story goes, refused to let Julius put his name on the reel. The compromise was the naming of the reel, B Ocean.

Of course, these reels would have to be considered "geared", so that's still the sticky point relative to the sited dialogue.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
TampaTarpon
Frequent Board Poster

Post by TampaTarpon »

Thanks John. I’ll continue to dig for a first hand report of Mr. Wood’s gear. On further reading of the later account, the writer refers to Vom Hofe “star” reels which could not have been right. The writer may have had it wrong.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

"Wood designed a special rod and reel for the silver king. The gearless reel, made of hard rubber and white metal, 5 1/8 inches in diameter and 2 3/16 inches wide, could hold 1200 feet of 21-thread line. A thick, five-foot bamboo rod and a gaff hook mounted on an ash hoe handle rounded out the tarpon equipment."

McIver, S.B., Dreamers, Schemers and Scalawags/The Florida Chronicles/Volume 1, Sarasota, Fl.: Pineapple Press, Inc., 1994, pg. 238

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
TampaTarpon
Frequent Board Poster

Post by TampaTarpon »

Thanks Steve. I'm putting together more descriptions from other written materials.
TampaTarpon
Frequent Board Poster

Post by TampaTarpon »

From "An English Angler in Florida" by Rowland Ward published in 1898:

"My purchase was E.M. Vom Hofe's striped bass or tarpon reel described in his catalog as 'finest quality rubber and German silver, full steel pivot with German silver bands, S-shaped balance handle to screw off, sliding oil cap, tension click drag' ... The reel should hold 150-200 yards of line..." Illustration from book:

A later description from "Tarpon Fishing in Mexico and Florida" by E.G.S. Churchill in 1907:

"two twenty-seven ply tarpon lines each 200 yards long, and a wonderful Vom Hofe reel with three separate brakes. The first was not very strong, and was applied by sliding a small button a half an inch on the outside of the reel; the second by raising a catch which stopped the revolution of the handle when the line was flowing out. This brake could, in a few seconds, be made with the aid of a small key so powerful as to break the line before permitting it to revolve the drum. At the same time it did not in the lease delay the winding in of a fish, as in that direction the handle slid over the catch, causing no friction at all. The third brake consisted of a piece of leather which could be pressed by thumbs on to the line in the reel as before described."

I read basically the same description in F.G. Aflalo's "Sunshine and Sport in Florida and the West Indies," also first published in 1907.

Clearly reels advanced from the late 1800s to the early 1900s.

I'd appreciate any guidance as to models that fit these descriptions.

Thanks
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Churchill describes what is probably the EVH 521 Special Star, with its "not very strong" 1883 click, its wrench-adjustable 1902 drag and anti-reverse pin, and a leather thumb pad that was added whenever.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

a 521 Special Star, mine shown below. It has all the bells and whistles described in the dialogue above:

Its very similar to the illustration above, but also has the anti-reverse, activated by the rim control on the faceplate side:

And also has the automatic tension drag on the back plate(sorry about the filth! No time to clean my own stuff!):

As well as the adjustable drag, tension set with the external key inserted and turned inthe holes of this collet:
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

TampaTarpon
Frequent Board Poster

Post by TampaTarpon »

Thanks John and Steve. Now the search begins!!!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

By the way, I was at the used bookstore today and I picked up what looks to be a really nice book on Tarpon fishing history by Randy White. Do you have that?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

TampaTarpon
Frequent Board Poster

Post by TampaTarpon »

Sitting on table next to me. Have almost all of the original books and articles referenced in the book.

You'll enjoy the read. Fascinating history of a fishery from day 1. Can't imagine what his collection looks like!