Pflueger Worth Verication

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
beepr1
Big ORCA Fan

Pflueger Worth Verication

Post by beepr1 »

I have a Pflueger worth who I am fairly certain is a worth on the front plate. The back plate is the question? Two patent dates Jan 22 1907 and April 3 1923 and no serial number. This back plate looks a lot like a back plate from a Pflueger buckeye to me. What do the experts here think?

Last edited by beepr1 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Pflueger Worth Verication

Post by john elder »

need pics! Be sure after selecting the pics to "upload all" and then pic regular or thumbnail URLs
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
beepr1
Big ORCA Fan

Post by beepr1 »

Thanks John I'm a novice here on adding pics
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

The two worths i have are here... two patent dates but each has a serial number as well. Note not the same patent number you show in second position! The one buckeye i have has neither patents nor serial # so guess it must be early?

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
beepr1
Big ORCA Fan

Post by beepr1 »

John do you know if the back plates on the worth and buckeye are identical size wise and if the screw holes match up? There is a buckeye on Ebay and the back plate has the same patent dates as mine and no serial number.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Plate diameter is the same but hole pattern on buckeye (at least this one). Is totally different (buckeye on left)

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

beepr1
Big ORCA Fan

Post by beepr1 »

John, the pictures of your two pflueger worths, do they have fluted jeweled cups or the newer smooth type? It looks a bit like the fluted type in your picture but can't quite see. Same question for the Buckeye.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I assume you mean those external flat springs to hold them? Sorry re my ignorance of terminology. At any rate, both Worths have that type. Buckeye, no.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

If it helps any, I found my Worth and it has 2 patent dates and no serial number. Of course, it also has the wrong crank and one jeweled endcap and one plain one. I was just happy to have one so its fine with me.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
beepr1
Big ORCA Fan

Post by beepr1 »

thanks for the info spadej1, could you let me know the two patent dates on your worth? A picture would help.
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

I have an early 80 yd Worth with non-fluted jeweled end caps that only has a serial number and no patent dates. The serial # is 3965.
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Reelman, is WORTH written in block letters on your early reel or CURSIVE?? I have an early on with serial # in the 1900s that Worth is in cursive...not sure when the transition occurred....I guess we need Bob's new book!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

beepr1
Big ORCA Fan

Post by beepr1 »

John according to "The Pflueger Heritage" book by Wayne Ruby The Worth name was stamped in printed script, 1914, the next year the Bulldog trademark was added. Before 1914 the Worth name was in cursive. page 166 in his book.
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Mine is definitely later. The same patent dates as the OP above, 1907 and 1923. Of course as I mentioned before, a number of issues with this poor guy!

-James-
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

P.S. I pre-ordered my copy of Bad Bob's new book so I can brush up on these "other" Pfluegers!
-James-
beepr1
Big ORCA Fan

Post by beepr1 »

Have also ordered Bob's book to go along with his other on the Akron and Summit reels, loads of info
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

My early worth is in block letters not script.
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member