Some GREAT REELS at the Bakersfield show!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Some GREAT REELS at the Bakersfield show!

Post by john elder »

Always good to spend time with the guys, regardless of the tackle! Quite a nice herd of ORCAns made the show and several joined in for the traditional Basque feast at Bako, including Steve Ellis, Terry Ow, Dave Contreras, Phil Beguhl, and Dennis Buranek, with honorary member and favorite frog guy, Don Wheeler.

Lots of interesting reels came in....here's a mystery reel acquired by John Bechtold that I will refer to as a custom Mooching reel, in wood box with two spare spools (no tip)...really a beautiful piece of art! Anyone have a clue about maker?

Host and ORCAn Glen Brewton brought in what appears to be an unlabeled Milam trade reel, again, exceptional quality workmanship:

Here's another little brass reel that I picked up from Glen...maker??

Another Hardy Uniqua Salmon reel to add to my collection from member Al Wooden:

..and from ORCAn Jerry Scharfenberg, a couple great little Shakes Tournament reels...1740 on the left and more pics of an aluminum 60yd tournament, needing a bath but a tough little reel!

Thanks yet again to Glen, wife Sarah and Tony Allegra for putting on the show!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Some GREAT REELS at the Bakersfield show!

Post by Steve »

Here's another little brass reel that I picked up from Glen...maker??
Congrats! Looks like your first(?) Hendrick.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

not the first, but glad to add him in, Steve...thanks! I figured that foot was likely a give-away, but had not chased it down. Was thinking Kopf was also in the running, but quickly bow to your call!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I really enjoyed the photos of old friends and old reels, John. Thanks.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

I am glad the drive was more than worth it. Those weekends shows are so much fun all around. Thanks for posting the pictures.
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

That's a interesting place to shave the tail plate on the 1740... but everyone has their own ergonomic solutions.
-steve
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I agree the unmarked 1877 reel looks like the work of Milam, but I don’t recall any Kentucky reels off the top of my head that used a screw for the center post on the back plate. Very cool.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Agreed, Mike re those bearing caps and have not found another like that. It has been opined that the reel might have come from the Fox Bros (see Todd's writeup in 2010), but his Fox reel does not have that configuration and also lacks the super fancy collar aroung the handle screw. But then, these were essentially one-off reels so guess anything could have been tried.

Steve, yes, noticed that and now that I have cleaned the tournaments, I will post them on Colby's tournament reel thread for more thoughts/discussion. I suppose that mod might have opened up the undercarriage a bit if someone was using the index finger as a break instead of just thumb. Thumbs have a hard life...maybe this fellow tried to clean out the corn picker at the wrong time..or maybe careless use of a belt sander! :shock:
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Nice to see the reels and some great friends!
Thanks for posting the pics John
Last edited by reeltackle on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

John: This may be a clue to the Jackling and Carrier inscription.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_C._Jackling

Carrier had a file in Jackling's papers.
http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/1 ... nb3mx/dsc/
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, thanks Paul! John Bechtold, the owner of that reel, has tracked it down to that Mr. Jackling. I'll let john relate the details, but the two men were hunting and fishing buddies. One rich SOB!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

john elder wrote:Yes, thanks Paul! John Bechtold, the owner of that reel, has tracked it down to that Mr. Jackling. I'll let john relate the details, but the two men were hunting and fishing buddies. One rich SOB!
"One rich SOB" Who Mr. Jackling or John Bechtold ?? LOL !!!!
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Reel rich, cash poor!