“Meek”Beaver No.3 ?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: “Meek”Beaver No.3 ?

Post by john elder »

I refuse to believe that it's being bid on because it says "Meek". As the comparison with the Beaver made by Montague shows, that reel is clearly made using the same "mainframe", but it's not been made by modifying a standard Montague Beaver.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
GLD56
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GLD56 »

Ok, not a repro, so I stand corrected. I agree, they can't reproduce a Meek or Milam yet but if there was enough money involved I guarantee the Chinese could do it. I just don't think the collecting market is wide enough to cover the cost of doing it.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I've seen many better Winchester forgeries and didn't have any problems telling they were fakes.
Same for India-made Moscrop forgeries,
Anyone fooled by the Meek forgery is wanting to be fooled.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Sold $410
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I don't know if anyone else ever does this, but I have learned alot when reviewing bid history and matching that up to previous purchases. In this case, it appears interesting to me, but no conclusions. I see an inexperienced buyer with 20+ purchases accounting for most of the bid activity, then a snipe to win it from an experienced buyer with 2554 purchases. The winning bidder has 50% of his activity with this seller. That always is a red flag to me, but I just don't really know what that means in the end. If anyone else has an analysis, it would be fun to know.

Wish you could message the buyers and ask what they know about the history of that particular reel. I dont know much but I do know that this buyer knew more than we do about this reel.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1758.m4792
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The winning bidder has 50% of his activity with this seller.
Matt, that only means that in the last 30 days the buyer has placed 2 bids and one of them was on this reel. The other bid was for something antique & sterling silver. With that many transactions and only 2 bids in the last 30 days he has either slowed his buying or focuses mostly on selling.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I thought I would resurrect this thread since MMMurph is in the process of flipping it again on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232735188389?rmvSB=true

It hit $410 last time, but we still have no resolution as to what is up with it! I guess it's just another interesting Frankenreel...sorta like the Meek that has become a level wind in it's old age.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

MMMurph lives about a mile from me. I wonder if he would entertain a discussion on this reel. I would love to know why he bought it. Its strange, he is an experienced antiquer and reel guy. But as Mike N said, you can learn a lot from others in this club than you can with any amount of experience. Orca membership is cheap if you are out there buying on eBay.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

kyreels wrote:MMMurph lives about a mile from me. I wonder if he would entertain a discussion on this reel. I would love to know why he bought it. Its strange, he is an experienced antiquer and reel guy. But as Mike N said, you can learn a lot from others in this club than you can with any amount of experience. Orca membership is cheap if you are out there buying on eBay.
I'm surprised you haven't already stopped by to visit him. :D
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Golly Mrs. Cleaver, can the Beaver come out to play? ...... again ......
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
GLD56
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GLD56 »

His description states it is a Meek reel, not a reel engraved with the Meek name.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ouch!! Someone took a bath! $183 at finish...
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

This reel has re-appeared.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006