“Meek”Beaver No.3 ?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

“Meek”Beaver No.3 ?

Post by Mike N »

Has anyone seen this trade reel before that’s selling on eBay? I can’t recall having seen one that used (with or without permission) the Meek name.

Link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEEK-Beaver-no ... SwAHBaDidP
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: “Meek”Beaver No.3 ?

Post by wrong99 »

Yes, when I first saw it, I just filed in under "How to make a Meek reel out of a Montague".
Mark
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

bingo

the counterfeit engraving is pretty nasty, too
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Ron Mc wrote:bingo

the counterfeit engraving is pretty nasty, too
Jr. High shop class engraving 101, I'd say. :roll:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Looks to me as if it's been retrofitted with what may be a freespool clutch. If so, the fitter is entitled to engrave whatever he wants, IMHO. Compare with Paul's reel here.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I was curious about that myself. Looks like the seller added some comments about it. A few people seem fooled/interested though!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

no, he's not entitled to misrepresent or lie about a reel.
First, it's not stamped anything, it's scratched meek.
Second, his link locks my browser and I can only escape with task manager.
fraud is fraud
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

OMG, the dreaded Link Lock! :shock: But never fear! Task Manager is on his way.

Anyway, maybe the owner's name was Meek. Maybe the owner saw himself as an inheritor of the Earth. The engraving is too sloppy for me to consider it as outright fraud.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

it's most important that internet humor be humorous
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

MHO is that there is nothing approaching fraud here. He makes no claim the reel is a Meek and pretty much says it isn't. The only thing more that he could have done was destroy it, which would be a shame, given that it's a relatively neat Montague.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

somebody scratched on that reel with fraud intent.
The seller should state that specifically, whether he did it, or he acquired it that way.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The seller may or may not have intended to sell a fraudulent item, but having the title with "MEEK" as the first word and the only word in capital letters advertises it as a Meek reel, regardless of what he goes on to say in the description. To the uninitiated buyer, of which there are many, that could very well mean an opportunity to get a rare and unusual Meek model for what should end up being a low price. We know it's not a Meek, but most people don't and someone is likely to get stung, intentionally or not. I personally believe the seller should relist it as an altered "Beaver" model or not relist it at all. The seller has been around reels for a long time. Many of us know him. I've purchased from him several times over the years and it's even possible he's an ORCA member. There's no excuse for marketing the reel in this manner. Just my two cents.
Mark
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Surprised no one yet referenced this similar post also. The conclusion was the mod ruined a valuable reel, on that we can agree. http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopi ... cky#p91099

Has anyone ever discussed the appearance on reel marks of the odd "." (dot or period)? The older Kentucky reels often were marked "No. 3.", with a dot appearing after the number, but not common on any of the newer Kentucky reels I have examined. Why the "Meek."? Does the dot after any marking lead anyone to believe it is older? Are miscellaneous dots worth more? Is this somehow linked to a dot marking a particular screw?

Discuss.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

you can say that again - seriously
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I doubt it was even a production Montague Beaver to begin with. The Beaver mark is pretty poor compared to my example, referenced above.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Steve wrote:Looks to me as if it's been retrofitted with what may be a freespool clutch. here.
There are multiple pictures and after I view them all I believe that is a drag.
Sid Lehr
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I don't believe the name "Beaver" or "Meek" are original to the reel. It is a Montague and they did make a couple of styles with a free spool button like that one. But what is the sliding part at the top of the front plate? It is not the click or drag.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

No. 1 indicates the main gear and its bearing post.
No. 2 probably is what remains of a click.
No. 3 is the sliding button that operates the curved brake spring.
No. 4 is the position of that button under "Beaver." I can't see what it does.
I suspect that the rim button (No.5) slides over that thing (5?) above the pinion and may or may not shift the pinion out of gear. The Beaver button may activate or inactivate whatever 5 does. Hard to believe all that stuff would be there for a drag, but who can tell from 1 pic?

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yeah, can't figure mission for that post below the "Beaver", which (Paul!) is virtually identical cursive writing to my Montague Beaver. Note also that there is some dead-end post on the back plate, about where a level wind gear would attach. No sign of that on my Montague version. The foot screws on the back plate of my reel are also not countersunk like the ones on this reel. Regardless of the stamped Meek mark, the reel has several modifications compared to my reel. Either it's a prototype they played with or someone talented in arts other than calligraphy have been busy with this one! Worth buying, just to see what's up inside. The wild guess re the button on the face plate rim would be a control to limit the amount the drag can act on the spool when the button is pushed forward.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Steve, had to open mine for a look. Thats a fully functioning clicker... it just acts on a dedicated gear under the internal face plate instead of with a spring wire against the spindle:

That extra protrusion on the face of the ebay reel would be directly over the drag where it goes thru the the internal face plae to make contact with the spool, so i think it acts as a pivot or the sliding adjustment on the face plate rim... sets the range forvthe drag:

No witness mark on this main gear... what a wonderful Montague baitcaster that conpetes for quality with any of the real meeks!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

That extra protrusion on the face of the ebay reel would be directly over the drag
The protrusion (positions No. 4) is on the opposite side of the headplate from the drag spring. Your spring is positioned differently from the ebay reel's.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yeah, see what you mean. The protrusion would be at the location where my drag goes through the inner face plate, but not clear what it does. Looks like his drag arm is leading to nowhere unless there is another hole thru the inner wall underneath the end of it.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Most followed reel on eBay with 63 watchers.

Link
https://www.collectorsweekly.com/fishing/reels/auctions
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
GLD56
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GLD56 »

The old Meek Beaver is taking off. At $255.00 My brother used to deal in lightning rod balls and they started reproducing them. He quit collecting when the repros started bringing more on Ebay than his originals he was selling.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I feel ya, but this reel is not a reproduction. It’s simply a trade reel with an unknown MEEK stamp and an etched outline.

You cannot “reproduce” a Meek reel, unless you want to pay a master machinist a few thousand. That’s why I stopped collecting wooden lures and fish decoys 30 years ago and started collecting finely-machined reels. As Benjamin Milam said, “if a man can make a reel equal to mine, he is entitled to all the profit he can realize.”

This reel would not fool anyone who has been an active ORCA member for a few years. That’s about $80 in dues. Fools rush in...
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990