Need Help! ID Reel All Brass early-

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
KevinVirden
Frequent Board Poster

Need Help! ID Reel All Brass early-

Post by KevinVirden »

Guys and gals:

I could use some help on who made this reel. It seems to me this is an early one. The side plates measure 1 7/8" round and with the bottom foot, 2". The handle sticks out a total of 1 1/8" from the side plate to the tip of the handle. The handle material appears to be a plastic type handle, and is rather odd since this appears to be an earlier reel. It is correct for the reel and has not been altered or changed. The handle itself is about 5/8" plus a nudge for the pivot pin which is all brass. The switch is supposed to engage tension on the reel, but is wore due to age. I did take apart the side plate on the reel side to investigate the switch, but there are no markings on the inside. The part may be worn out due to age or the mechanism was not designed like later bait casting gear ratios for sure. There is one marking on the foot and it is the number 5. That is the ONLY marking on the reel that I could find unless the maker put one on the inside which is entirely possible since I did not tear apart the reel completely. The foot measures just under 2 1/4" long. It is certainly a nice neat old reel. NFS. Just for looking and as stated I could use some help as to who made it.

Thanks,

Kevin Virden
Akron, OHIO
NFLCC
kavirden@juno.com
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Need Help! ID Reel All Brass early-

Post by Paul M »

Kevin:

I don't know who made it but there is a similar reel illustrated in the 1884 Abbey & Imbrie catalog on this page, although the grasp in the illustration is wood. I would think that grasp on your example is ebonite (hard rubber), not plastic. The latch on the rim may have been intended to lock the spool, rather than to act as a brake. In that case it may require a complete a revolution of the spool until the latch kicks in. Based on the handle position, it looks like a multiplier versus a single action reel. The number under the foot would refer to a model number and I would guess that 5 is probably the smallest of a series e.g. 1 through 5.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
KevinVirden
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Need Help! ID Reel All Brass early-

Post by KevinVirden »

Paul,

Thank you!

How cool is that.

I appreciate the help.

Kevin Virden