Shakespeare President Question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
RonG
Super Board Poster

Shakespeare President Question

Post by RonG »

I received this email request. Can someone help with answers. Below is the email.

Hi Ron,
Hope this finds you well. I know that this request refers to a manufacturer and era that are not exactly your favorites, but I've honestly struck out pretty much everywhere else. I have a pair of Shakespeare President No.1970 Model GK reels, that don't jive with Shakespeare's historical tab on their web page. That paragraph says that the President series was introduced in 1947, when Henry Shakespeare took over from William. The date code of "GK" corresponds to 1941, which doesn't fit the historical record. The GD (1947) marked Presidents all have the non-round side plate and aircraft-wing-section-shaped plate on the side plate, whereas my two reels have both side plates in a circular configuration. So, I'm trying to reconcile the disparity, and determine when my reels might have been made, and whether they are uncommon/rare/unusual, and might thus be more valuable. Both reels are in heavy snap-lid leather cases, marked "Shakespeare" on top, and one of the reels also has a cloth pouch inside the leather case. Any info that you can provide (or a link to a more suitable source) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your consideration!
Respectfully,
John Neal
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare President Question

Post by wrong99 »

The "round" Shakespeare No.1970 "President" models were made prior to 1947, from about 1930 to 1946. His Model GK reels were produced from April, 1940 to July, 1942.
Mark
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare President Question

Post by RonG »

Thanks Mark. I'll forward him your information.