Help identifying vintage reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
njg425
Big ORCA Fan

Help identifying vintage reel

Post by njg425 »

Hello everyone, I was recommended that I try you guys to try to figure out what this is. Poking around on here and elsewhere I haven't been able to pin it down. I found this old reel that I believe to be my great grandfather's which would date it sometime pre 1945-50ish. I'm curious as to what it is and what it was used for. Its a small levelwind reel with solid bakelite side plates. It doesn't have a drag or any way to disengage the crank handle. However, it does have a clicker mechanism and when I had it apart it to clean it up it seemed to me that the mechanism is identical to the Penn reels I have seen. There are no markings on it inside or out other than a made in USA stamped into the reel seat. Thanks in advance for any insight you guys might have!

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Help identifying vintage reel

Post by john elder »

I believe you have a Bronson trade reel there. It was one of numerous economical freshwater casting reels that they made for a number of different companies...thus the term "trade reel"...often unmarked.

If you want to chase further, you can browse around the Bronson website hosted by ORCA

http://www.bronsonreelphotos.com/bronso ... sears.html

I did not see your exact reel, but it's similar to some models made for Sears (JC Higgins)
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
njg425
Big ORCA Fan

Post by njg425 »

Thanks for the info. Your're right, it nearly matches that Sears J.C Higgins. Very interesting. I'll keep digging
darylrose61
Frequent Board Poster

Post by darylrose61 »

looks to have ocean city knobs ,my 2 cents Daryl.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

The stand is also very Ocean City-like.
Sid Lehr
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Unmarked Ocean City trade reel, along the lines of their "St. Claire" and "St. Paul" models.
Mark
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Check out the second set of photos on this page
Sid Lehr
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

It sure looks like the St. Clair except it isn't black. Maybe it's like the No. 21 General Service and came in more than one color.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027