Reel seat straightener?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Reel seat straightener?

Post by JoeW »

Time to get some opinions on this, or hopefully a definitive answer! Had it for quite awhile, found in the bottom of a tackle box. Somewhere along the line, I heard of something called a "reel seat straightener" referred to and thought mebbe this was one?

Brass, no markings, back side is a mirror of the front. Looks like a reel seat should slide right in there and hold it while being bent back into shape? Did fishermen have these- it would certainly seem a lot of reel seats got bent out of shape from dropping them... or from having a savage beast of a fish tear it off the rod! Or could it have been used at the factory as a template for checking reel seats as they were made?

Open for thoughts here! Thanks for the look. Best--- JoeW (ORCA)

Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Reel seat straightener?

Post by sdlehr »

I don't know what that is, it may be exactly as you surmise, but if it were I would have thought it would be made with a metal harder than brass for the job it is purported to do.... wouldn't do you much good if your seat-straightener bent as you were trying to use it. I could be way off base, that's just the first thought that popped into my head.
Sid Lehr
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

+ 1 re Sid....the brass would lose that battle, methinks!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Perhaps a banding tool.
-steve
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Sid, John- Yea, I gotta agree about brass being soft. I thought of that, but just chose to ignore it! My bad.
Steve, I don't know what a banding tool is? Thanks all for your time to reply!

Still two questions:
1) if it ain't a reel seat straightener, any ideas of what it could be? It was found in a tackle box.
2) I only saw the term "reel seat straighter" in text in an old ad, I think. Does anyone have one, or know what they look like?

Dang! Thanks again for your time. Best--- JoeW
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I wonder if this might be a reel seat, meant to be tied down on a cane ROD? A reel could slide in and lock in place...only thing is that one would expect the "locking mechanism" to be centered so both ends would be tied down. Here is a somewhat fancier version of what I'm suggesting;
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

It is a Locking Clip used in sheet metal for A/C Ducts.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I agree with Harry.
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Another reason to love this board (because there are so many people who can come up with many answers - and sometimes the right ones :D. And the fact that this non-fishing item ended up in a tackle box. Who knew? :loco:
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Richard Lodge wrote:Another reason to love this board (because there are so many people who can come up with many answers - and sometimes the right ones :D. And the fact that this non-fishing item ended up in a tackle box. Who knew? :loco:
You'd be surprised at what you might find in the bottom of my, or my dad's, tackle boxes. Serious fisher-people that work with their hands and tools are also serious improvisers. :-D
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

OK! I think I got it! You put two pieces of AC duct together, then wrap a metal band around them. Then one end of the band goes through the bottom "guides" on the tool (there ARE guides on BOTH sides) and bent over underneath the tool. Then the other end goes through the top guides and bends over the opposite way! Is that it? Sounds good to me.

And Richard, you are so right about the stuff you find in old tackleboxes! Maybe like you said, the guy improvised and used the strapping tool as a reel seat straightener? Maybe he kept wire line coiled on it? Maybe he had just come from work to go fishing and found this in his pocket? LOL, just remembered--- when I was oh so young, I had purchased an engagement ring for my future Mrs. about 6 months prior to when I was going to give it to her. Man, it cost me XXX dollars! Stop laughing at the three figures, my uncle was a jeweler and gave it to me wholesale and things were cheaper back then. Well, I lived in an apartment, no garage, and no real place to hide it. I ended up putting it in the bottom of my minnow bucket! I figured no burgler was going to look in an dirty old bait bucket for diamonds! Tell you what- I always check inside bait buckets now at flea markets!

Thanks for the replies- t'was fun! Now if anyone has or knows about reel seat straightners, I sure would like to see a pic! Best--- Joe Walkowski