Hurd Super Caster unfreeze rod from reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
hansonscolo1
Big ORCA Fan

Hurd Super Caster unfreeze rod from reel

Post by hansonscolo1 »

Looking for any information on how to unfreeze Hurd Super Caster rod from reel. I have my Dad's Super Caster with original red and black case and want/need to rewrap the guides....any information on original silk wrapping thread colors and how to unfreeze the rod from the reel would be greatly appreciated
huckster37
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Hurd Super Caster unfreeze rod from reel

Post by huckster37 »

OCauto posted a tutorial on just that issue on his Hurd site.

https://www.hurdsupercaster.org/2017/08 ... reel-assy/
Kevin McJunkin
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Hurd Super Caster unfreeze rod from reel

Post by Kevin McJunkin »

I've had success at loosening stuck rods with a variation of OCauto's procedure. After soaking with penetrating oil and/or PB Blaster for a day or two, I have put the rod just above the ferrule in a vice attached to the end of a table, with the jaws shielded by masking tape. Then, raising my foot to the end of the table as leverage and pulling straight back on the handle, I have been able to pull several rods out of the handle ferrule without scratches/damage to the rod. One rod was stuck so bad I had to resort to a pin/punch as OCauto describes. Good info about the rod collars!