Penn "Trade Reel'" Schultz Jones Beach

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Penn "Trade Reel'" Schultz Jones Beach

Post by fishhead »

I just picked up a really nice Schultz Jones Beach 150 yard reel. Does anybody know how rare this reel is and its relative value to a collector? I have only seen a reel like this once on Ebay and it went for $200 to $300. Not that I am selling it. It is going in the man cave.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Penn "Trade Reel'" Schultz Jones Beach

Post by john elder »

Paul, what I've seen is that these ably Penn reels, non- model F or K, go up and down dramatically, depending on who is standing it line; one minute, $200, the next, $20! They make a neat collecting venue, since there are many names to collect in this waffle clicker crowd. Your Schultz offers yet another angle as some go specifically for that retailer's offerings. I believe Brian Purrone used to have a big collection. Maybe he will chime in.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

The Penn trade reel made for Schultz in the Jones Beach model was a Long beach with a logo change.
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

This reel is the 150 yard model which would be equivalent to a Penn Long Beach Model 62 or 63 then which is an oddball size that they did not make many of?
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

fishhead wrote:This reel is the 150 yard model which would be equivalent to a Penn Long Beach Model 62 or 63 then which is an oddball size that they did not make many of?
The 61 was a 100-yd reel, the 62 was 150-yd and the 63 was a 200-yd reel, allowing Penn to have 8 Long Beach models ranging from 100 to 600 yards. The 150-yard #62 was listed in the Penn catalog from 1935 to 1939. Interestingly, there was never a year that all 8 Long Beach reels were produced, the smaller (61,62,63) being discontinued before the largest (#68) reached the market in 1941.
Sid Lehr
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

Thanks Sid for the good information. You're a gentleman and a scholar.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

I was going through this thread and got confused. The numbering system you mentioned never listed the model 60. I went to the real source, Mike’s book, and noticed the strange model number system Penn used. The Penn Long Beach 60 was always 250 yards...starting in 1933. Then came the newer models with higher numbers defining lower yardage and the sequence made some logic with higher yardage models as they were introduced. Penn was loyal to their roots by keeping one of it’s original models designations intact through the development of the line.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

I find consistency in the Penn numbering system. Models ending in "0" were 250-yd reels, ending in "5" were 300-yd reels. This is repeated over and over in the Penn catalogs. There are a few reel families like the Long Beach series with model numbers between the two, and above the 300-yd model, but there is a lot of consistency. I think the most popular (and first to be produced reels) were the 250- and 300-yd models, which were brough to market first, then if they were successful more model numbers were produced similar to the yardages in the Long Beach Series. I'm away from my references and don't want to err, but the model 70 Sea Ford was a 250-yd reel, and the model 75 was 300-yds. There are other series with similar numbering schemes, but most were 250 and 300 yard reels from the start.
Sid Lehr